Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover blacklist

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover blacklist

So I had a Discover card, went into charge off status, paid in full in 2014. Just app' d to see what would happen because I was approved for Amex and Cap 1. Of course denied. Do they blacklist forever?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover blacklist

@Anonymous wrote:

So I had a Discover card, went into charge off status, paid in full in 2014. Just app' d to see what would happen because I was approved for Amex and Cap 1. Of course denied. Do they blacklist forever?

I'm sure they don't blacklist forever but 3 years in the credit card world is not very long.  People have been blacklisted by creditors for a lot longer than that.  Your paying off the chargeoff will eventually help but it may take a few more years.  When you get the denial letter, give them a call and it's possible that the rep you talk to can give you some idea of when you might be able to get back in with them.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did IIB Discover, filled 5/12 discharged 8/12. This July i was able to get in with them for a secured. So about 5 years for me to at least get in the lobby, hopefully it will unsecure in the 7 months, i plan on watching this one careful to mature it into what hopefully will bring a good future. Discover was always one of my top go to cards back in the day.

Message 3 of 17
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There have been several folks who have burned them in the past and got back in with them. Since you paid them in full you should not be on their blacklist.

Call and recon. Mention you paid them in full.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 17
Gentoo
Established Member

They do not blacklist forever. I burned them in the past and now have a Discover IT card.

Starting Score: EQ: 780; TU: 780; EX: 768
Current Score: EQ: 780; TU: 785; EX: 768
Goal Score: EQ: 820; TU: 820; EX: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 17
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

I had a discover business card charge off in 2009 and I paid it off completely. They still use that as the reason to deny me. 8 times in the last 3 years. 

Whats more irritating is them sending me preapproved mailers every week...

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 6 of 17
sjt
Senior Contributor

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

I had a discover business card charge off in 2009 and I paid it off completely. They still use that as the reason to deny me. 8 times in the last 3 years. 

Have you reconned them?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't tried to recon, i could give it a shot

Message 8 of 17
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

Have you reconned them?

Yes, they won’t budge. 

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 9 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Can't recon discover computers make all the decisions, people have no power to do anything at disover other than being polite.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.