cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card ...Truth revealed to me....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover card ...Truth revealed to me....

OK...So i was looking forward to getting a Discover card after applying for a house next month...then I read that their pre-qual is basically useless so i tried it...entered fake name and fake number and received the same offer....I feel like crying.....!!!!...!!!#dissappointed

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover card ...Truth revealed to me....

They said it's basically useless... Smiley Happy

#welcometoforum

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep #Useless. ...and thanks. ..glad to be here
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I had found this board a couple of years ago, I certainly could have saved myself some HPs from discover. I fell for it over and over again. Even if a single apr shows as opposed to a range, I'm still not going to get too excited. *sigh

Message 4 of 15
EW800
Valued Contributor

I like Discover quite a bit, but indeed their pre-qual site is completely useless.  There are numerous reports of people entering in their dog and getting a pre-approval....

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OK...So i was looking forward to getting a Discover card after applying for a house next month...then I read that their pre-qual is basically useless so i tried it...entered fake name and fake number and received the same offer....I feel like crying.....!!!!...!!!#dissappointed

Discover is a cruel card company ( to many of us )!

I think that they must power an office or two from the angst and negative energy that that prequal site generates ( monsters inc )

You will find that some card companies like you and others dont. 

Message 6 of 15
degs138
Established Contributor

All card companies like me, I'm a likeable guy!

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 7 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

On this site you will find those who love Discover and those who dont. For those of us looking from the outside in it is frustrating as we have used many a hard pull only to " Discover" we arent wanted.Smiley Happy For me it saddens me to know after being rejected like 3 times with 4 HPs that as my profile gets better that i may never be welcomed as by having too many accounts or other creditors seems to take away my chances with them. Seems they like thinner profiles or want you to be their #1. I would love to prove to them i can make a place for them in my life but alas i probably will never have the chance. I wish their prequalify site was legit but as evidence shows its just a tease. Good luck with your future endeavers! Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

to be fair, I tested this out and although the fake name came up with a pre-approval as well, the APR range was something like 11% to 24%, whereas my own info gave an APR that matched the range in the mail offers of 13% to 16%, and when I applied the 13% was what I received.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you may want to stop applying for cards if you're going to get a mortgage next month. Not a good idea as it will requires more documents since the card probably won't be reporting when they pull your credit for pre-approval. If it report after that and when they pull before closing, you may get more questions from underwriters.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.