cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover credit limit increase denied for first time.

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Discover credit limit increase denied for first time.

My previous request was 2 months ago and I brought my limit from 6100 to 7900. I applied for credit limit increase and was denied for the first time. Tranunion was 762, I'm 19 years old at an internship paying $19/hr.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover credit limit increase denied for first time.

No major issue -- some folks are on 3-month CLI cycles.  Discover has been tightening up credit limit increases for the past year as delinquencies and chargeoffs are getting worse according to their recent profit statements.  I believe chargeoffs went up 60 basis points to 2.7% or so, which is pretty significant increase.  

Message 2 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

And some folks on 6 months +/-... OP in the grand scheme of things, your last CLI wasn't too long ago so getting denied isn't a show-stopper. You can always try again next time.
Message 3 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

At 19 with $7900 you're better off than most with your limits and increases. Many couldnt get a $300 increase if increase was tatooed on their foreheadSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
At 19 with $7900 you're better off than most with your limits and increases. Many couldnt get a $300 increase if increase was tatooed on their foreheadSmiley Wink

lol lol lol that was hilarious

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dang, I just got my tattoo today because I read on Credit Karma forums it would get me approved for a CLI there Smiley Sad

discover tattoo.jpg

Message 6 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Sub, as you've probably read, Discover plays a game that doesn't have any rules. Some get CLIs after heavy usage while others get them after little or no usage, some get them regularly while others get never get them, some get them with low scores while those with high scores are denied, and some get them with lower incomes while those with high incomes are denied. In other words, don't take the denial as an indicator that you're doing anything wrong.

Watch your horoscope for a good day, and try again.

Message 7 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Lately iv seen more mentions of the SJ special... aka 300$ increases which is a relatively new thing... Discovers tightening the purse strings.... Think the key thing is TIME .... Know Patience is a foriegn concept for some folks ....... can always try again in 31 days...  could do it more but i think its the law of diminishing rewards for a lot of junk mail.......

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.