Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover declined pre-approval credit application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover declined pre-approval credit application

I happened to submitted an application for a Discover Card after 4 Years Post-Bankruptcy and was immediately denied citing that my CH7 BK included a Discover Card that was discharged as part of the proceedings. I contacted Discover, who discussed that it might be just that reason that could prevent me from getting a Discover card in the future. I even tried the pre-approval application and not even a secured card option is available to me.

Have anyone had any success with getting a Discover card after being discharged?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

Re: Discover declined pre-approval credit application

Sorry that you were denied. But the general rule of thumb is 5-7 years after BK before applying if you burned that FI (I could be wrong). 

I'm sure others will jump in with other FI that you could try. And could you list who was burned in your BK?

Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Wells Fargo Active Cash $11.3
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PutThatMoneyOnTheTable wrote:

Sorry that you were denied. But the general rule of thumb is 5-7 years after BK before applying if you burned that FI (I could be wrong). 

I'm sure others will jump in with other FI that you could try. And could you list who was burned in your BK?

Discover card, Chase card, 2 Capital One cards and Syncrony Amazon store card

Message 3 of 13
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PutThatMoneyOnTheTable wrote:

Discover card, Chase card, 2 Capital One cards and Syncrony Amazon store card

If you really want a Discover card, give it a few more years.

From your siggy you have a few cards. If you are looking for additional cards you could try Citi and BOA, they both have a secured option too 

Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Wells Fargo Active Cash $11.3
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No idea on BoA but I've read that Citi has a five year minimum since BK to be considered.

Message 5 of 13
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

Sorry for the denial.

Message 6 of 13
soxfaininfl
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I happened to submitted an application for a Discover Card after 4 Years Post-Bankruptcy and was immediately denied citing that my CH7 BK included a Discover Card that was discharged as part of the proceedings. I contacted Discover, who discussed that it might be just that reason that could prevent me from getting a Discover card in the future. I even tried the pre-approval application and not even a secured card option is available to me.

Have anyone had any success with getting a Discover card after being discharged?

It's possible to get back sooner. This person burned Discover for over 10k in a BK7 and got back with them in only 2 years. They were approved for an unsecured card for 3K SCL back in September of 2019. I burned them for half that amount 4 years ago and got declined for a secured card on December of 2019. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Discover-IT-approval-after-BK/m-p/5747235

I keep checking their prequalification link once a month, and I keep getting no offers not even for their secured card due to prior relationship. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@soxfaininfl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's possible to get back sooner. This person burned Discover for over 10k and got back with them in only 2 years for an unsecured card for 3K SCL back in September of 2019. I burned them for half that amount 4 years ago and got declined for a secured card on December of 2019. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Discover-IT-approval-after-BK/m-p/5747235

My CL when I applied with them back in 2014 was $1500 with a range between 740-770 across all 3 bureaus. Discover were extremely hesitant on providing me a credit line after being on the phone with them for over 30 Minutes as my income at the time ($40K/yr) was on the borderline low-end of their qualification scale. I filed CH7 BK in 2016 as my $40K job was eliminated due to company restructuring and had to settle working elsewhere with an inconsistant work schedule, clearing just $9K before taxes in 2016. 

4 Years later, I am with permanent employment with the 5th largest defense contractor in the world (General Dynamics) under their Information Techology sector, working alongside one of the largest companies in the world in Microsoft with a salary well over $100K.

I am extremely hopeful that Discover would allow me back, citing that I have employment stability and completely unaffected by COVID-19 and any future government shutdowns as being an essential personnel 

Message 8 of 13
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @Anonymous, sorry to hear about decline. I would not take it too hard or worry too much about this decline. Right now the times are tough and we are in an economic downturn. All the banks are tightening their pockets. Once things settles down lenders would be more willing to lend. Just focus on other things what you can win. Good Luck.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover approved me a month after my discharged ch7. 6500 CL probably because of my income

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.