cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover fimaly show now love today no increase for me.

tag
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Discover fimaly show now love today no increase for me.

Hi today I called Discover card for credit line increase, my last increase was about 8 weeks ago from 25.5K to 27K. Income was 75K Fico scores around 800 total cl is 132K and total balance is 2K. I ask to speak to ther credit department recom line. I was told that I would get letter in 7 to 10 days , Guy on phone from cr department said reason is not enough experence at your last increase, was also told soft pull. He also said give it 60 days and call back should have no problem. It sounds like discover is cutting back the easy days are gone. Just for info Synchrny gave 3K more on my Walmart mc last nonth and yester day I got an increase on my Jcp store card from 6K to 8K. Discover customer service wher verry nice about it I still like Discover.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover fimaly show now love today no increase for me.

Is there a particular reason you need a CLI? With an income of $75,000 a year, I can't imagine you'd need to buy more than $27,000 in purchases at once on one card. Plus, with 132k in total credit limit, even your entire monthly pre-tax income ($6250) would only be 4.7% utilization.

Obviously it feels good to get a CLI for the satisfaction of seeing the number go up, but if you look at it from a practical standpoint it might make more sense to let go and focus on other aspects of your credit/finances.

Message 2 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a particular reason you need a CLI? With an income of $75,000 a year, I can't imagine you'd need to buy more than $27,000 in purchases at once on one card. Plus, with 132k in total credit limit, even your entire monthly pre-tax income ($6250) would only be 4.7% utilization.

Obviously it feels good to get a CLI for the satisfaction of seeing the number go up, but if you look at it from a practical standpoint it might make more sense to let go and focus on other aspects of your credit/finances.

Hi @Anonymous and welcome 

There are many reasons why/when  asking for CLI is appropriate. Sometimes we just ask. It is what it is. 

It's a credit card forum afterall 

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If one uses the Discover card for max CB only, having more than (say) a ~$5000 limit is completely unnecessary.  One only gets 5% CB on a $1500 spend/quarter.  Even if that spend came all in one cycle, $1500/$5000 is fine utilization to report for a cycle.  That being said, as the reply above states, some people like to push their limits "just because." 

OP, you suggested that Discover may be tightening up some in your post.  I think having received a CLI from them just 8 weeks ago you're sort of jumping the gun with that comment.  Many people even after getting frequent Discover CLIs see periods of 4, 6, even 10 months of no CLIs, only to go back to getting them again with relative frequency again. 

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

To me it looks like Disc already gave you too much love.

Message 5 of 24
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello there and welcome to MyFICO

Once you've been a member for a while and start reading the many posts here, you will realize and understand that there absolutely has to be NO reason why one wants a CLI, or there may be MANY reasons someone wants a CLI. It could be for UT padding, it could be because it's possible to get it and we simply just want it Smiley Very Happy, it could be self-gratification (definitely in my case). It could be a million and one reason why. But one reason it's definitely not--just because I have a $25K CL does not mean I'm going to run out and spend $25K.

The forum is fun reading and extremely informative. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 24
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If one uses the Discover card for max CB only, having more than (say) a ~$5000 limit is completely unnecessary.  One only gets 5% CB on a $1500 spend/quarter.  Even if that spend came all in one cycle, $1500/$5000 is fine utilization to report for a cycle.  That being said, as the reply above states, some people like to push their limits "just because." 

OP, you suggested that Discover may be tightening up some in your post.  I think having received a CLI from them just 8 weeks ago you're sort of jumping the gun with that comment.  Many people even after getting frequent Discover CLIs see periods of 4, 6, even 10 months of no CLIs, only to go back to getting them again with relative frequency again. 

+1

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 24
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If that's the case, why do you ask weekly? I mean, if it's ok for you, why is OP being jumped for it?

Your limit is around $50k, you spend maybe  $100...so my question to you is are you going to stop asking for CLI and also ask for CLD because according to your post above $5000 is unnecessary and yet you have 10 times that and have no intentions of stopping 

So yeah, I said some people like to push limits just because, I am one of them, but so are you. 

So, my question to you would be if you're planning on taking your own advice, stop with CLI requests and ask for CLD? 

Message 9 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

And you're basing that on what? 

How much of your limit do you use? 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.