Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover forgiveness - how long?

tag
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Discover forgiveness - how long?

Cap1 and Chase both forgave me after recent chargeoffs; in the case of Cap1, I've had 3 chargeoffs with them, spanning 10 years. The 2 most recent ones were settled for less in 1/2019, which is also when I settled my charged off Chase card for less. Both of those banks approved me for awesome new cards after only 5 months.

Discover, on the other hand, seems to be holding a grudge. They are the only creditor who has ever sued me - my $5,500 card (with a $6,500 balance) was charged off, they sued me over it and even got a judgment, although that was apparently never entered into public records, and I finally settled it for less (~$4k) last January. Since then, I've improved my credit substantially. Pretty much all my previous creditors have forgiven me, new ones are sending me great offers (even Amex Platinum!), but Discover is still giving me the cold shoulder.

Their pre-qual site rejects my apps, citing bad previous accounts with them as the (only) reason for rejection.

I realize 6 months is a very short time to beg for forgiveness, but every other bank has granted it, so why not Discover? How much longer will I likely need to wait before they'll give me another chance?

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Discover forgiveness - how long?

@coreysw12 wrote:

Cap1 and Chase both forgave me after recent chargeoffs; in the case of Cap1, I've had 3 chargeoffs with them, spanning 10 years. The 2 most recent ones were settled for less in 1/2019, which is also when I settled my charged off Chase card for less. Both of those banks approved me for awesome new cards after only 5 months.

Discover, on the other hand, seems to be holding a grudge. They are the only creditor who has ever sued me - my $5,500 card (with a $6,500 balance) was charged off, they sued me over it and even got a judgment, although that was apparently never entered into public records, and I finally settled it for less (~$4k) last January. Since then, I've improved my credit substantially. Pretty much all my previous creditors have forgiven me, new ones are sending me great offers (even Amex Platinum!), but Discover is still giving me the cold shoulder.

Their pre-qual site rejects my apps, citing bad previous accounts with them as the (only) reason for rejection.

I realize 6 months is a very short time to beg for forgiveness, but every other bank has granted it, so why not Discover? How much longer will I likely need to wait before they'll give me another chance?

The simplest answer don't compare lenders for the same reasons profiles should not be compared.

I don't think Chase forgave you after six months, and I am very doubtful Amex did. 

For most people,  2 years seems to be the earliest Disco will entertain the thought again. I've seen it go a lot longer than two years 

So, what happened to gardening? 

Message 2 of 12
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Amex didn't "forgive" me per se, because I've never had an account with them, so I've never burned them.

Chase most certainly forgave me, they approved me for the 2 cards in my signature 45 days ago. I suppose they may end up cancelling them at some point, but it seems like they'd have done that already if they were going to.

As for gardening - still gardening. No HP's for at least 2 more months, but I've been looking to get a Disco It card later this year, and stalking the pre-qual site while I'm gardening. As of now, it doesn't feel like Disco has any plans for approve me for anything anytime soon. Thanks for the DP about 2 years for Disco, that sounds reasonable - I'll try not to get my hopes up with them before 2021

Message 3 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@coreysw12 wrote:

Amex didn't "forgive" me per se, because I've never had an account with them, so I've never burned them.

Chase most certainly forgave me, they approved me for the 2 cards in my signature 45 days ago. I suppose they may end up cancelling them at some point, but it seems like they'd have done that already if they were going to.

As for gardening - still gardening. No HP's for at least 2 more months, but I've been looking to get a Disco It card later this year, and stalking the pre-qual site while I'm gardening. As of now, it doesn't feel like Disco has any plans for approve me for anything anytime soon. Thanks for the DP about 2 years for Disco, that sounds reasonable - I'll try not to get my hopes up with them before 2021

I dont think you have anything to worry about Chase wise at this point.

My point was (and I could be wrong) is that it took longer than six months from the time you resolved account with Chase to a new approval. 

If that's not the case, you're truly one of the few  lucky ones. With some people, they are still holding grudges over Providian and WaMu accounts Smiley Frustrated

Discover is a strange bird. They tolerate higher utilization, derogs and new accounts better than most lenders, but are also legal action happy and can hold grudges with the best of them. 

They usually offer secured card when you get close to the time they may consider another approval. 

Once they approve new account, they dont seem to engage in continuous punishment afterwards. 

Message 4 of 12
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Haha, yep that's true! I posted something about that in someone else's thread earlier today - they had a thin (but otherwise perfect) file, and got denied by Chase. Whereas my file is garbage (but thick!) and they were happy to approve. Chase is a weird creature, indeed.

Date of my settle-for-less payment to Chase was 1/31/2019, date of approval for BOTH my CSP and CFU was 5/10/2019. So the wait for forgiveness was 100 days Smiley Very Happy But I also have other (positive) history with Chase, which I'm sure helped. My case was most definitely the exception, not the rule. I can only think that my checking account history, good-standing chase car loans, and decent income, are the reasons they gave me a pass. But really, who knows.

Discover is a different animal - I've only ever had one account with them, and I screwed it up (doh!) So it's sort of "no wonder" why they aren't forgiving me, I suppose.

Message 5 of 12
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

I'll also add that I know a person who had a c/o Chase card back in 2007, and Chase still won't give them a new card 12 years later. So this is certainly a YMMV situation, and very unpredictable. If you review my post history, you'll see that even after I was approved I was terrified that Chase would close me down, after reading all the horror stories, and especially after I realized the stupidity of my applying for a 2nd Chase card the same day I was approved for the 1st one (by nearly all accounts, that for sure should have triggered a closure, but oddly it didn't). I was lucky, for sure. But something about my file made Chase decide to give me a pass - I wish I knew what it was exactly.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going on 6 years and 6 months for my Discover charge off. It's already off my Transunion, still on the other two. Everytime I filled out the Discover pre-qualify, it gives me a letter saying due to past history with them, they cannot pre qualify me for anything. 

Message 7 of 12
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am going on 6 years and 6 months for my Discover charge off. It's already off my Transunion, still on the other two. Everytime I filled out the Discover pre-qualify, it gives me a letter saying due to past history with them, they cannot pre qualify me for anything. 

Yikes... and your scores should otherwise certainly qualify you for a basic Disco It card, I would think. Sounds like I could be in for a very long wait. Did you end up paying or settling the Disco chargeoff? Or do you still technically owe them?

I only really wanted the card for its 5% categories, so it's not the end of the world if I don't get one, it's just a bit of a bummer to miss out on those bonuses. But Chase Freedom and US Bank Cash+ should mostly fill that void once I get those, which are two cards I should be able to get at some point soon when I'm done gardening.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yikes... and your scores should otherwise certainly qualify you for a basic Disco It card, I would think. Sounds like I could be in for a very long wait. Did you end up paying or settling the Disco chargeoff? Or do you still technically owe them?

I only really wanted the card for its 5% categories, so it's not the end of the world if I don't get one, it's just a bit of a bummer to miss out on those bonuses. But Chase Freedom and US Bank Cash+ should mostly fill that void once I get those, which are two cards I should be able to get at some point soon when I'm done gardening.

It was settled for less than the full amount owed. It's all good. I am doing okay without a Discover card! Will be doing much better in a few months when all three of my scores will be in the low to mid 700s. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 12
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Just curious, do you bank with Chase?

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.