Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it and PayPal MasterCard

tag
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

Discover it and PayPal MasterCard

Would it be a bad idea to get both at the same time?  I would still split the 2% non category spend on both cards until the discover cashback match runs out.  I was just thinking why not get them and let them age together since my revolving file is kind of thin.  Discover pulls Equifax and Experian while PayPal pulls TransUnion.  I'm pretty sure my file is good enough to get both especially since I prequalify for discover and they don't pull from the same bureaus. 

I plan on getting the US Bank Cash+ and PNC Cash Rewards in a year so that part of the reason why I'm thinking about applying for these two cards at the same time even though discover is 2% for the first year.  

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover it and PayPal MasterCard

Both issuers will eventually know about each other after they eventually soft pull you after being approved.

I am fine with applying for both in same time frame.

Message 2 of 18
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I think your strategy is a good idea to let them age together my only concern would be inquiries but with your scores still being over 700 that is good too, and after that 12 months so on the 13 month do the other card you were thinking if you are still wanting to at that point.   Smiley Happy      Good luck and keep us posted if you move forward and with results.     

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it were me, I would just get the Discover Miles and earn 3% on everything after match. Save the PayPal app until after the match is up and see what the landscape looks like at that time with a thicker file and a (hopefully) more stable economy. 

Message 4 of 18
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

The only thing about the miles card is it would be completely useless to me after the first year as I don't travel much at all.

Can I PC it to a 5% cashback card after the first year?

AAoA:
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 5 of 18
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

My inquiries would be looking really good at this point and I would also apply to Walmart MC in April.  So at the time I app for US Bank and PNC I will only have 1 inquiry per bureau from the Walmart card.  Also 1 new account within the past year.

AAoA:
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Beast26 wrote:

The only thing about the miles card is it would be completely useless to me after the first year as I don't travel much at all.

Can I PC it to a 5% cashback card after the first year?

Yep you sure can. 

Although I would just get a second Disco and make it the 5% for another year of match Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 18
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

When I did discover pre-qualification it didn't say I was prequalied for the miles card.  Should I still apply for it?  How solid is the prequal?

AAoA:
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Beast26 wrote:

When I did discover pre-qualification it didn't say I was prequalied for the miles card.  Should I still apply for it?  How solid is the prequal?

You have to choose travel as what you want the card for to get a prequal for it. Having a prequal for one card is a prequal for any of them usually. 

As for how solid, it's more solid than most. They can pull any of the three bureaus for the actual application so if there is something hiding, the situation can change. 

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ agreed, Disco is said to have the same underwriting standards for all of their main cards (cash, chrome, miles). Prequal for one should equate to prequal for any.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.