cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover's non-stop mail offers! Should I just pull the trigger?

tag
thatguycx
Valued Member

Discover's non-stop mail offers! Should I just pull the trigger?

For reference, my most recent discover card offer came in the mail just today on 7/25. But in total, I'm pretty sure I've gotten at least 10 mail offers from them within the past like 2 or 3 months. Besides the mail offer that came today, the other most recent one was literally a few days ago. So I figured that I might pull the trigger for that reason but also because I genuinely feel like I'm one of the only few people that does not have a discover card. Like, that basic most card that I don't even have and most seem like they do, so I want to maybe include it in my portfolio.

The discover card (if I actually apply) will be just a good keeper card. I do have a few backup cards for the future that I'm looking at but this one is about Discover especially since I'm considering applying for it soon or now possibly. My original plan was to wait at least 6 months before applying for anything else because of my app spree last month (I applied for the CSP,  AMEX BCE, and the Cap One Savor One / was denied for the Savor). 

Here is my full detailed credit information including income, inquires, banking history, etc in a PD...

Should I pull the trigger with Discover?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover's non-stop mail offers! Should I just pull the trigger?

In my personal opinion, Discover is great. The customer service is top-notch and the card does have good benefits. For me and many others, it's definitely a worthwhile addition to the wallet.

However, I wouldn't get one only because you feel like you're missing out by not having one lol. If you don't have a use for it, then no need to apply. 

If you DO have use for it, then go ahead. Disco's prequals tend to be quite solid and you could end up with a nice SL. 

Good luck!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 7
TSlop
Valued Contributor

I think if you don't mind being over 5/24, and will get good use out of the first year cashback match, it couldn't hurt to snag one. You get SP CLI requests with it as well, so it can grow.

Message 3 of 7
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Given that you recently opened three new credit cards in the past month, my answer is don't do it. It's more than likely that Discover will deny you, based on recent DPs. Don't base your decision on a few marketing mailers and because everyone else has one. Save your HPs. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 wrote:

Given that you recently opened three new credit cards in the past month, my answer is don't do it. It's more than likely that Discover will deny you, based on recent DPs. Don't base your decision on a few marketing mailers and because everyone else has one. Save your HPs. 

I'm going to agree with this. Three cards in a month is a lot and you definitely risk a chance of denial. Discover will always be there in the future. 

I was getting bombarded with Discover mailers in the same manner about a year ago. My understanding is the mailers are a marketing tool. 

Not saying you will get denied, but in this climate with three recent approvals, taking some time to cool off can only help. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got spammed with mailers, at least one per week and sometimes two on the same day for months before I decided to just apply for the Discover It.  Instantly denied for too many inquiries/new accounts.  I called in and asked the rep why I was getting so many offers if the company wouldn't approve my application and she told me that the marketing team just sends them out and it really doesnt have anything to do with how likely you are to be approved for the card. If you have recent account/inquiries I would probably hold off to avoid a HP and potential denial.

Message 6 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

One thing to keep in mind with targeted mailers is that the criteria used to determine who to target is based upon demographic information (i.e. lives in this zip code, as a FICO score above this figure, etc. etc.) that is a few months old by the time the mailers are finally sent out.  Even if there's been a big change in your profile since it was scanned that would lead to a denial you could still be getting mailers for the duration of the promotion because the data was never refreshed. 

Sometimes even after an approval or a denial you'll continue to get mailers with preapprovals or offers to apply, but that's because their left hand hasn't figured out yet what their right hand did.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.