Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover secured it

tag
twiddledee
Contributor

Discover secured it

Trying to get in with Discover....Not in a position to get an unsecured card at this time but was hoping for the secured version.

I have been checking the prequal site with no pop up for anything.  Will I have to be prequalified to get even the secured it card ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
1hotcat
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover secured it

Yes, 

I been trying to get in with Discover and received different reasons for denial as my credit has gotten better.

1st - delinquent accounts

2nd - too many open accounts 

Soft pulls so i'm ok with checking every 10 days or so.

Check Capital One's pre-qualified site and see if you are eligible for a secured account. 

good luck...

Starting Scores:

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 740 (All 3 Bureau's) June 2024 **

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
The 1st stone looks just like a stone until one day you realize that you put one on top of the other and now it's a skyscraper .  

Message 2 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Just remember Cap1 doesnt graduate any longer. For now at least. Keep checking Disco, Citi, or Merrick is a good one with hardly any complaints on here.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I applied for Discover secured I had low 500s scores. I was approved. At the time, I actually did not know you could get turned down for a secured card. I opened Discover and Cap1 secured on the same day. Since it never occurred to me that it was possible to get turned down for a secured card, I never even tried the prequalify link. I later got slapped with reality when I applied for Bank of America secured and got rejected for “prior relationship” (a.k.a. burned badly). As a data point I did not burn DSC in my BK but did burn Cap1.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I qualified for a Discover It Secured with scores in the high 500's almost 600 about two months ago. I just recently hit low 600's. My deposit was $200 and was approved instantly. I just increased my deposit to $1200 this week, hoping to graduate in about 6 months.

Discover has been great, I highly recommend the card. I'm not sure your credit profile specifics so I'm not sure your approval odds. I will say I have 3 baddies on my profile and was still approved. At the time, the only cards I had was a secured Cap1 and a business Cap1 both at $500.

Message 5 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@twiddledee wrote:

Trying to get in with Discover....Not in a position to get an unsecured card at this time but was hoping for the secured version.

I have been checking the prequal site with no pop up for anything.  Will I have to be prequalified to get even the secured it card ?

Thanks

You could try a cold app, but their prequals are fairly reliable, so if you dont have any, your chances are really not that good 

Sometimes when doing a prequal, there will be a message addressing why no offers are available. Did you get one? 

If so, try prequal again once those reasons are resolved or when your score improves. 

I think you'd benefit from visiting a rebuilding forum. Explain your situation and you could get valuable advice on how to deal with negatives on your CR if any are present. 

Good luck 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know if the prequalify system checks for secured cards? I actually applied for the secured card after my Bk Discharged (5/19) and was denied due to BK. I have been checking the prequalifier but I am wondering if it checks for secured cards as well. Luckily I was able to get approved for a Wells Fargo Secured Card. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know if the prequalify system checks for secured cards? I actually applied for the secured card after my Bk Discharged (5/19) and was denied due to BK. I have been checking the prequalifier but I am wondering if it checks for secured cards as well. Luckily I was able to get approved for a Wells Fargo Secured Card. 

Yes it would list the secured card. When my bk was discharged I tried the prequal and at first it gave me no offers. I checked again a month later and the secured version was there.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it would list the secured card. When my bk was discharged I tried the prequal and at first it gave me no offers. I checked again a month later and the secured version was there.

Thank you. My BK discharged 5/6/19. I will keep checking the prequal. Hopefully they will let me in sooner or later. LOL

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Just remember Cap1 doesnt graduate any longer. For now at least. Keep checking Disco, Citi, or Merrick is a good one with hardly any complaints on here.

Just an fyi, I spoke with Cap1 customer service rep today asking about a product change and he talked about graduating so not sure if he was mistaken or they've changed their policy again but thought it worth mentioning.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.