Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover sucks!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover sucks!

I received a pre screened app for them in Dec and got the card with a $500 limit. My credit file history only dates to 6/14 and I built it with au cards I opened for my elderly mom that month.

I have built $29,000 in credit since then ( not counting the $7000 BBVA card I just got approved for Monday). Paid the card off and made a few more charges on it and even though I am aware Discover is a stingy lender for some reason we need to find out about, decided to call them for a cli. I tried last month on the automated system and was declined. I have a $200 medical lab bill on my TU which isn't on my other bureaus. They ran Experian to open my account.

The rep I talked to did a soft pull and said I was declined. I asked to speak to an analyst and this real b****. got on the phone. I told her that I needed a limit increase to maybe $1000 because the limit is too small for my needs, I have paid you off rapidly and on time and that Discover is the lowest limit card in my wallet, that I have an Am Ex card with a $15,000 limit, that I would like to use the card more but need more spending ability.

She told me my credit history is too new mentioned the collection and said we only give small limit increases here. We don't raise cards from $500 to $10,000. That there was a reason why my limit started so low. I asked her when I am able to see an increase and she said she didn't know.

I told her that if I can't see any limit increase now or in the future to reward my payment history and give me reason to use Discover instead of other accounts with more spending power I just may as well close the account. That I wasn't asking for a huge increase.

She asked me if I want her to transfer me to customer service so they could close the account for me. I told her no I will give you a few months to make this right and to make a notation of that on my file. She said fine, and I hung up.

If a lender is unwilling to give a customer a limit increaseof a few hundred measly dollars when they have paid on time and have substantially more credit with other lenders, why even do business with them. That damned Discover card will never be worth carrying. I always have $500 cash in my pocket. Why bother with that piddly card that obviously will never grow into a limit worth a damn!

i knew what they were about after being in this forum, but their ultra conservative ways and not giving a damn attitude is insulting to me. They could have given me a $300 increase. If it were my business I wouldn't want to be the lowest card on a customers bureau if he is paying well.

even for people with 750+ scores, 95 out of 100 of them don't have Discover cards that match their highest limit cards.

Discover you can go straight to hell!!!!!!!! The card is in the sock drawer.

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Re: Discover sucks!

What did you expect?

Message 2 of 53
SpaceInvader
New Contributor

LOL, you got approved so why do they suck? The low limit? if so don't worry they are pretty good about CLIs as long as you maintain a good relationship with them.

Gardening since: 4/2015
Starting Score: 666 Current Score: 688(Barclay FICO) Goal Score: 750

Message 3 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I received a pre screened app for them in Dec and got the card with a $500 limit. My credit file history only dates to 6/14 and I built it with au cards I opened for my elderly mom that month.

So, is this an approval?

Message 4 of 53
uswala
Senior Contributor

@SpaceInvader wrote:

LOL, you got approved so why do they suck? The low limit? if so don't worry they are pretty good about CLIs as long as you maintain a good relationship with them.

+1

Congrats on the approval!  

Message 5 of 53
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

keep your nose clean and treat them right - i went from 1k to $8800 with them in about 18 months all sp's. Congrats on the approvals. Remember, big Oaks start off as little acorns Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 53
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also keep in mind that some CCC don't care if you are AU on cards. They don't take that into consideration. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 7 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ojefferyo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Also keep in mind that some CCC don't care if you are AU on cards. They don't take that into consideration. 

This ^^^^ Honestly you could have easily been denied based on that fact alone. But hey if they still suck for approving you when you basically have zero history of your own then so be it lol Congrats? Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 53
EW800
Valued Contributor

I think this is the first time I have seen a "they approved me - they suck" message!  Smiley Happy

I agree with others.  Treat the card well and it will treat you well!  Discover has been very generous with people recently.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2023: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $48.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $22.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $21K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $296K
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $10 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 9 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others said, be thankful they approved you for something as it could have been easily denial. Your foot is in the door now just treat the card good an it will treat you good. Congratulations again OP.
Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.