Did you mean: 

Discover unOfficial Data Points

tag
arkane
Established Contributor

Re: Discover unOfficial Data Points

@Anonymous wrote:

@arkane

It's an open secret that Discover's target demographic is what they call "prime revolvers" (that term always makes me lol and then roll my eyes some). So my theory is for those with thick and aged files, the computer automatically flags them as being unprofitable, and they get thrown into the bottom bin.

Bottom bin or not, it's still possible to see tremendous growth with Discover.  I'm definitely in that bin... thick/aged file, they've never seen a penny of interest from me and I don't even use their card much.  My score through their site is 850 and I'm probably about their least profitable customer out there.  All that being said, my limit with them is in the mid $30's right now and will likely hit $40k before the end of the year when it started at $12,500 less than 2 years ago.

What was your profile like when you app'd for Disco? Also I'd say if your SL was $12.5k then that's definitely not bottom bin. I think it's one thing for $12.5k to grow to $40k, and another for $2.5k to even grow to $10k. We'll see in 2 years I suppose.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 1601 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arkane

What was your profile like when you app'd for Disco? Also I'd say if your SL was $12.5k then that's definitely not bottom bin. I think it's one thing for $12.5k to grow to $40k, and another for $2.5k to even grow to $10k. We'll see in 2 years I suppose.

What does SL have to do with it?  You talked about thick/aged files and non-prime revolvers as being unprofitable customers in the eyes of Discover (which I don't disagree with) which has nothing to do with SL. 

When I apped for Discover my score was about 730.  While my file was thick/aged it was also dirty; I had 4 accounts with negative information, 2 of which had major derogs.

SL with Discover and growth potential are unrelated.  The best example would be the member that started this thread, austinguy, who took his $4k SL with Discover to > $50k in about 2 years with nothing but SP CLIs.  Another member dan-something took his $7k SL to $49,100, possibly even higher at this point as I haven't been following.  EW800 is another member that I want to say had around a $10k SL and his limit is > $60k now.  My point here is that regardless of SL, massive growth potential is possible with Discover even though many people report not being successful in growing their accounts. 

Message 1602 of 1,821
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@arkane

What does SL have to do with it?  You talked about thick/aged files and non-prime revolvers as being unprofitable customers in the eyes of Discover (which I don't disagree with) which has nothing to do with SL. 

When I apped for Discover my score was about 730.  While my file was thick/aged it was also dirty; I had 4 accounts with negative information, 2 of which had major derogs.

SL with Discover and growth potential are unrelated.  The best example would be the member that started this thread, austinguy, who took his $4k SL with Discover to > $50k in about 2 years with nothing but SP CLIs.  Another member dan-something took his $7k SL to $49,100, possibly even higher at this point as I haven't been following.  EW800 is another member that I want to say had around a $10k SL and his limit is > $60k now.  My point here is that regardless of SL, massive growth potential is possible with Discover even though many people report not being successful in growing their accounts. 

Thanks, I should've added the bit about having a clean file as well. I've just seen a few too many instances of people fresh out of Ch7/with major derogs being given 10k+ SLs by Disco, while people with perfect histories seemingly get shafted with toy limits. Obviously I'm generalizing here and there are always exceptions, but this does seem to be a thing with Disco. 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 1603 of 1,821
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@arkane

Somehow I dont suppose you have/had 250-300k in credit like myself when you applied and big CL's with Chase/PenFed/Navy in the 30k+ range..  Discover wants to be your squeeze and when they realize they can't compete you are rebucketed IMO.  My best friend make > 500k a year and can't get past a 20k CL with them due to other large CL's as well, etc.  If you start out with not a ton of credit you can likely grow if you have alot of credit I think that is where i hit a wall.  Income plays no factor with discover imo as my friend perfect example and myself(although I certainly dont make > 500k I am in the 6 figures) while others in the 40-50k range have 30k+ cl's with Discover as well.. They are just bizarre.

cashed out my rewards today will be PC'ing my miles card to the IT card and just using them for the 5% cats as they appear to like to be taken advantage of and that is just what they will get with the craptastic CL they give "most" people with good credit.

Message 1604 of 1,821
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

So just had an interesting talking with Credit Line increase dept... Whether they were blowing smoke out of their ARSE or not they have a policy in place or rather new one in place that a person can only get 3 CLI's in a given year and I have gotten my 3 in the 12 month period.. This is news to me.. still doesn't explain why people with BK's and cruddy scores get better SL's as I went at here with that and asked her to explain which she obviously couldn't, but she saw that was the reason I was truely being declined my wonderful 500 CLI then having to call in for another 500 to make it a whopping total of 1k each time..  So apparently Discover only allows 3 CLIS in a 12 months period.. This is news to me and the forum if this is true....She could be full or crud as well, who knows as discover as mentioned makes no sense to me personally although they answer to their investors not myselfSmiley Happy

Message 1605 of 1,821
arkane
Established Contributor

Well I have 9 months to test out that theory I guess. Either way the card will only be used for the 5% up to the $1500 cap and then it gets the SD. 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 1606 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd take what any CSR says with a grain of salt.  This 3 CLIs/12 mo thing could be a new policy, but it would have to be very new, as I've had > 3 CLIs/12 mo for the duration of having the Discover card (about 2 years).  This thread will be the perfect place to track this of course, although if the policy is brand new it would take quite a bit of time to get a true result. 

I personally would call back probably 3-4 times and ask 3-4 different CSRs what their policy is regarding frequency of CLIs.  I'd venture to guess that you get multiple different answers and that not all will say 3 CLIs/12 mo is the max.

Message 1607 of 1,821
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

So just had an interesting talking with Credit Line increase dept... Whether they were blowing smoke out of their ARSE or not they have a policy in place or rather new one in place that a person can only get 3 CLI's in a given year and I have gotten my 3 in the 12 month period.. This is news to me.. still doesn't explain why people with BK's and cruddy scores get better SL's as I went at here with that and asked her to explain which she obviously couldn't, but she saw that was the reason I was truely being declined my wonderful 500 CLI then having to call in for another 500 to make it a whopping total of 1k each time..  So apparently Discover only allows 3 CLIS in a 12 months period.. This is news to me and the forum if this is true....She could be full or crud as well, who knows as discover as mentioned makes no sense to me personally although they answer to their investors not myselfSmiley Happy

What??

I would think that if that were the case it would have been "discovered" by the folks around here already.  Either it's a brand-new policy or the CSR is blowing smoke.

I'll never understand Discover, and I'm one of the people they've been good to.  I got my card in 2015 with a modest income and a dirty file (still had three old charge offs) and they approved me for $5500.  My files are now clean and I've had several CLIs, the last of which took me from $15k to $21k, all with minimal usage other than a BT I had at the very beginning.  It's been 18 months since my last CLI request with them... it would no longer be meaningful to request more, and I couldn't do it with a straight face anyway.

With my income/spend level I openly admit I don't need a credit line that large, and if there was a way I would gladly consent for some of it to be reallocated to someone who would actually use it.  Since that's not possible all I can do is commiserate with those who are stuck with insufficient credit lines.  Smiley Sad

Message 1608 of 1,821
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd take what any CSR says with a grain of salt.  This 3 CLIs/12 mo thing could be a new policy, but it would have to be very new, as I've had > 3 CLIs/12 mo for the duration of having the Discover card (about 2 years).  This thread will be the perfect place to track this of course, although if the policy is brand new it would take quite a bit of time to get a true result. 

I personally would call back probably 3-4 times and ask 3-4 different CSRs what their policy is regarding frequency of CLIs.  I'd venture to guess that you get multiple different answers and that not all will say 3 CLIs/12 mo is the max.

I honestly don't have the energy to deal with Discover anymore as they say time is money and I choose not to waste any more time with their BS.  You never did answer my question about how much credit you had when you GOT your Discover card as well.. Were you above 100k? 200k?  I am seriously curious.. I think that plays a big role in what bucket they throw someone into as income certianly plays no role nor does score really as we have seen with 1000's of posts

Message 1609 of 1,821
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

What??

I would think that if that were the case it would have been "discovered" by the folks around here already.  Either it's a brand-new policy or the CSR is blowing smoke.

I'll never understand Discover, and I'm one of the people they've been good to.  I got my card in 2015 with a modest income and a dirty file (still had three old charge offs) and they approved me for $5500.  My files are now clean and I've had several CLIs, the last of which took me from $15k to $21k, all with minimal usage other than a BT I had at the very beginning.  It's been 18 months since my last CLI request with them... it would no longer be meaningful to request more, and I couldn't do it with a straight face anyway.

With my income/spend level I openly admit I don't need a credit line that large, and if there was a way I would gladly consent for some of it to be reallocated to someone who would actually use it.  Since that's not possible all I can do is commiserate with those who are stuck with insufficient credit lines.  Smiley Sad

Ya I agree it is either real new or she was blowing smoke up my arse to make me "happy and drink the discover cool-aid" lol.

Message 1610 of 1,821
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.