Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover unOfficial Data Points

tag
arkane
Established Contributor

Re: Discover unOfficial Data Points

Well FWIW when I applied for Disco, I only had one BoA card @ 15k  for 5 years and one Chase card @ 9k for 2 weeks. Their pulled EQ 8 was in the 770s and I have a high five figure income, and the computer started me at $2000. Reconned to 2500 and the analyst sounded genuinely excited he got me another 500 LOL

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 1611 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

No $100k or $200k here when I apped for Discover; I had exactly 1 credit card at the time of approval and it had a $3k limit, so total limits were $3k.
Message 1612 of 1,821
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
No $100k or $200k here when I apped for Discover; I had exactly 1 credit card at the time of approval and it had a $3k limit, so total limits were $3k.

Then my theory holds true in your case.. Good CL and huge growth.. Although just a theory none-the-less.  thanks for answering.

Message 1613 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity

Then my theory holds true in your case.. Good CL and huge growth.. Although just a theory none-the-less.  thanks for answering.

Yeah, except that on the same day I apped for Discover I did a spree adding 3 other cards.  Within 2 months two of the cards I added were at $30k limits, well above the SL Discover gave me.  Discover wasn't my #1 and took a back seat to other cards.  A year later I added 3 more cards, bringing me to a total of 8.  Even without using the Discover card at all, or for as little as a $5 swipe on a cycle, they were still throwing me $3000-$5500 CLIs like they were nothing.  Very odd and it never made any sense to me.

Had I not added other cards to my profile, I could understand Discover wanting to show me growth in order to secure/maintain their #1 spot in my wallet... but that wasn't the case.

Message 1614 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if  its a  brand new policy...guess those of us in our first year will find out if its true.

Im at one. PIF soon and trying for another.

Message 1615 of 1,821
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity

Yeah, except that on the same day I apped for Discover I did a spree adding 3 other cards.  Within 2 months two of the cards I added were at $30k limits, well above the SL Discover gave me.  Discover wasn't my #1 and took a back seat to other cards.  A year later I added 3 more cards, bringing me to a total of 8.  Even without using the Discover card at all, or for as little as a $5 swipe on a cycle, they were still throwing me $3000-$5500 CLIs like they were nothing.  Very odd and it never made any sense to me.

Had I not added other cards to my profile, I could understand Discover wanting to show me growth in order to secure/maintain their #1 spot in my wallet... but that wasn't the case.

I still think you were initially bucketed into a possible profitable category when you got the initial card as you had very little credit kinda like how Cap1 buckets peoples so you got a good SL and good growth where-as many high fico score people and people with big incomes get bad limits and slow to no growth.  Other cards after the approval seem to be fine with them as their computer probably isn't programmed with that scenario as the analyst there really have zero power as I am sure you are aware now, they are just script readers of what the computers tell them and nothing more.  I am sure your scores and income supported the other big limit cards after the discover approval the thing is many of us have the income and profile for big limits, yet we apply for discover after the other big boy cards and discover doesn't see us as being profitable (probably can't blame them although I do) and gives us what I call toy limits as I make take home in two weeks what my discover CL is...  It really is a toy limit for me and many others on the forums.  It is what it is though, but doesnt stop me from complaining.. Cashed in my double cash rewards today and still pondering what to heck to do with a worthless limit card whether to just cancel it or SD it and watch it grow ever 4 months or whatever it might be?  It is truely silly a lender I have learned to hate and dont need can get under my skin like they have Smiley Happy

Message 1616 of 1,821
arkane
Established Contributor

SD it for 6 months then hit the luv button. You might be pleasantly surprised (multiple DPs of Disco responding to the tough love approach).

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 1617 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that the tough love approach is worth trying for sure.  It worked for me following a pretty solid $1k-$2k spend/mo on Discover without receiving CLIs.

Message 1618 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Disco It card will be 3 months old on June 17th. The third statement cut last week. I had planned to wait until Monday the 18th to hit the luv button for my first CLI request, but I went ahead and jumped on it today. Total fail. Smiley Sad

CSR told me 1) my account is "too new" and 2) TransUnion shows too many recent HPs (3 since March).

When should I try again? June 18th anyway? or wait 30 days?

DPs: SL $1000; spend of $300-$700 per month with multiple PIFs each month.

Message 1619 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would wait and see if you get an auto-CLI first.

Many people report getting an auto-CLI somewhere around the 90 day mark... say, 70-110 days for a broader range.  I think mine came at Day 77, but you see a lot in the 90's.  Many of these same people, I'd say > 50% of them, report being able to double dip on the auto-CLI.  This means once you see the auto-CLI happen, you immediately request another CLI by hitting the button online.  

I'd suggest at least waiting until your account reaches 110-120 days of age before putting in another manual request.

Message 1620 of 1,821
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.