Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover unOfficial Data Points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover unOfficial Data Points

What @arkane said. Between discover & chase freedom overlapping on 5-10% on Wharehouse, gas & grocery categories to far this year I've been crushing cat limits on Disney gift cards. Sitting on a mountain of them which will amount to getting ~10% off the entire trip when we go for Xmas. Discover is not giftcard shy like other lenders in my experience, go nuts!
Message 1591 of 1,821
arkane
Established Contributor

Yep Discover most definitely isn't giftcard shy. Otherwise I would've received some pretty nasty mailers regarding my $500+ "grocery" shopping trips LOL

The only caveat I'll throw in is sometimes Discover offers some pretty good deals through their Discover Deals portal, but those deals almost always come with a "...excluding gift cards" verbiage in the fine print.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 1592 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

I plan on paying Discover off within the week then requesting a CLI and hopefully get one. (been 2+ months since I tried) Then will go gift card crazy before the end of June. I'm not a restaurant person and don't care about the next bonus catagory. Back to Amex next month.

Maybe I'll cross into  New Hampshire where there isn't sales tax..lol

Message 1593 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

After a year of suffering with a never growing originally secured Disco, i now have a second IT with a 2500SL and 0% with CB match again.   Hopefully this card will grow.   It finally showed up on my acct today, now i just have to get the card Smiley Happy

Message 1594 of 1,821
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Denied on my 2 day review..  Been 4 + months on no CLI stuck at 4250, would say I am shocked, but honestly I am not..  4k+ ran through it in one month paid off and notta lol..  I give up this company is bi-polar... No way in heck will I carry a balance with them just to get a CLI as much better lenders/limits.. Just sooooo frustrating how Discover mindset works.   I literally give up card will be burned when I cash in my double cash tomorrow.. Least I made 400+ off them for the year I suppose.  SMH...

Message 1595 of 1,821
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Insanity CC.
Message 1596 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Denied on my 2 day review..  Been 4 + months on no CLI stuck at 4250, would say I am shocked, but honestly I am not..  4k+ ran through it in one month paid off and notta lol..  I give up this company is bi-polar... No way in heck will I carry a balance with them just to get a CLI as much better lenders/limits.. Just sooooo frustrating how Discover mindset works.   I literally give up card will be burned when I cash in my double cash tomorrow.. Least I made 400+ off them for the year I suppose.  SMH...

@Anonymous @ Bipolar. I could say that about the Disco recommendations on here.  YAY GOT APPROVED UNSECURED.  Then no CLIS and the crash comes. New people (including myself) recommended over and over to go with Discover because it grows with you and then posts like this come up  .

This happned with my mom's Discover though. Originaly PIF every month. Ony one CLI. Eventually, about a year later an actual emergency came up and the card got close to limit and it's on the reports. So now it's her "F-it" card whenever a large purchase comes up and it keeps carrying a balance while the others get paid off. Still no CLIS. Lol.

Oh well. $100 for each of us with the referral. (double first year)

Message 1597 of 1,821
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, I understand the Disco dilema and all the recommendations. The funny thing is it, haha no pun intended, still is a good suggestion for many because it is a prime card, is a better alternative to the Credit Ones or First Premiers, I'd even argue C1, and for thinner files or those coming out of bk, they have better shots at those wacky huge approvals from Discover. Dcb is really nice for any limit and getting it twice is sweetSmiley Wink
Message 1598 of 1,821
arkane
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol, I understand the Disco dilema and all the recommendations. The funny thing is it, haha no pun intended, still is a good suggestion for many because it is a prime card, is a better alternative to the Credit Ones or First Premiers, I'd even argue C1, and for thinner files or those coming out of bk, they have better shots at those wacky huge approvals from Discover. Dcb is really nice for any limit and getting it twice is sweetSmiley Wink

It's an open secret that Discover's target demographic is what they call "prime revolvers" (that term always makes me lol and then roll my eyes some). So my theory is for those with thick and aged files, the computer automatically flags them as being unprofitable, and they get thrown into the bottom bin.

But yeah likewise I've already made $327 off of them, and I definitely intend to push that beyond $400+ before my CB match in Dec for a nice Christmas bonus. After that I'll probably only use it to buy gift cards when profitable and leave it at that. At some point in the distant future (2-3 years from now) I may decide to get a second It if they're still offering CB match. Otherwise that's the end of the road for me. Smiley Happy

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 1599 of 1,821
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arkane

It's an open secret that Discover's target demographic is what they call "prime revolvers" (that term always makes me lol and then roll my eyes some). So my theory is for those with thick and aged files, the computer automatically flags them as being unprofitable, and they get thrown into the bottom bin.

Bottom bin or not, it's still possible to see tremendous growth with Discover.  I'm definitely in that bin... thick/aged file, they've never seen a penny of interest from me and I don't even use their card much.  My score through their site is 850 and I'm probably about their least profitable customer out there.  All that being said, my limit with them is in the mid $30's right now and will likely hit $40k before the end of the year when it started at $12,500 less than 2 years ago.

Message 1600 of 1,821
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.