cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Amex app denials hurt future chances?

tag
jedifrogman2
Valued Member

Do Amex app denials hurt future chances?

Does Amex remember failed applications and preapproval checks when applying for cards in the future?

For example, if I tried a CLI on a new $1000 SL card at 61 days and was declined, or tried for an Amex Gold and was declined, or frequently check other cards for preapproval, does that hurt future chances if I were to reapply at the 181 day mark? Or does their system not remember these things and one has a clean shot at it as long as the retry clock for whatever event is waited out? 

Starting FICO 10-2012: EX 427, TU 483
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Do Amex app denials hurt future chances?

@jedifrogman2 wrote:

Does Amex remember failed applications and preapproval checks when applying for cards in the future?

For example, if I tried a CLI on a new $1000 SL card at 61 days and was declined, or tried for an Amex Gold and was declined, does that denial hurt future chances if I were to reapply at the 181 day mark? Or does their system not remember these things and one has a clean shot at it as long as the retry clock for whatever event is waited out? 

That would depend on reasons for denial

If they are resolved, it wont hold you back. If the same issue persists, similar outcome should be expected, at least for a while. 

What were denial reasons? 

Message 2 of 12
jedifrogman2
Valued Member

The two main ones I remember are "Your FICO score" (which has jumped 40 points at EX since getting the standard flavors of both SPG and Hilton back in September, sig scores are current) and "Length of time a customer too short".

Message 3 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@jedifrogman2 wrote:

The two main ones I remember are "Your FICO score" (which has jumped 40 points at EX since getting the standard flavors of both SPG and Hilton back in September, sig scores are current) and "Length of time a customer too short".

I thought you could request CLI 91 days after denial, not 181. 

I could be wrong, tho. I dont amex and I dont math. 

It just sounds like they are not willing to extend any more credit at this time. If your scores were borderline at the time of approval, may take them a bit to warm up, especially if derogs are present.

Good luck next time.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having a $1000 starter limit is a good indicator that AmEx wants you to prove yourself with them, and that a CLI at 61 days is unlikely (based on user information here). Keep using and aggressively paying your card(s) and try again 91 days after denial and you may have better results, although anecdotally it’s said that new/borderline members have a better chance after at least 6 months of solid history.
Message 5 of 12
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

If this is your first card with Amex, and you have only had it a short time, trying for any CLI within the first 6 months is mainly going to end with a denial, with reason of "too short a history".
181 days seems to be a pivotal number with Amex, I am guessing that is the amount of time it takes for them to gather the info they need to see what sort of customer you are going to be.
I suggest, using the card within your means, PIF each month, rinse and repeat for the next several months until you hit the 181 day mark. At that point try for another CLI if you feel you need to.
Amex will grow nicely with you and will hand out the 3x CLI's every 6 months if your profile warrants it.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 6 of 12
jedifrogman2
Valued Member

Thanks all for the insight. My 181 days is March 18, but because I got a little too eager and clicked the button on January 19, but was denied for the reasons I listed. Since that is a credit reason, I lose that 181 day opportunity and must now wait until April 20.

My question though, is if I'm on the site checking for preapprovals, but have not requested CLI or applied for cards since January 19, do they remember that and it hurts chances down the road?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jedifrogman2 wrote:

For example, if I tried a CLI on a new $1000 SL card at 61 days and was declined, or tried for an Amex Gold and was declined, or frequently check other cards for preapproval, does that hurt future chances if I were to reapply at the 181 day mark? Or does their system not remember these things and one has a clean shot at it as long as the retry clock for whatever event is waited out? 

My first Amex was a $1000 delta gold too. It took about a year to get a cli, but once they warm up,  you will be golden more than likely.   They are a good CC company IMO.  Hang in there.

Message 8 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

While I'm sure they keep track of denials, I doubt it will hinder you much. If that was the case, I wouldn't have been approved. Lol

Message 9 of 12
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

@jedifrogman2 wrote:

My question though, is if I'm on the site checking for preapprovals, but have not requested CLI or applied for cards since January 19, do they remember that and it hurts chances down the road?

I'm going to say no, I have checked many times over the last few years, and never applied for anything. Yet when I did finally apply I have been approved with no issues.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.