cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Discover still use a SP for new cards?

tag
NextUp2bat
New Contributor

Do Discover still use a SP for new cards?

Hi,

I thought I read on this forum a year or so ago that Discover do soft pulls for new cards if you have existing cards, I can't find that thread now. Is that really the case? I did a prequalify and am strongly considering it for a balance transfer card and of course would love to save a HP.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Do Discover still use a SP for new cards?

They've never done that. There are reports of people getting a SP approval if they send you an offer, but that's not the norm.

Message 2 of 11
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Don't think I've seen them do that. Both of my Discover cards brought an HP. CLIs are a different story, but not card approval.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ same here, both cards were HPs, and CLIs on both were SPs.

Message 4 of 11
NextUp2bat
New Contributor

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know why I thought I read that a few years ago. I thought it sounds unusual which is why I went back to try and find it before I went any further.

Message 5 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

There were reports of it about 3 years ago.  Although either people might of been confused or a few people possibly did slip through the cracks with discover pre-qual tool by a SP.  Certainly no longer happening though.

Message 6 of 11
blackfines1
Contributor

They will do SP on preapprouval/prequalify for new card . type discover preapprouval on google.

Message 7 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Yup, like @CreditCuriosity said, around 3 years ago, a lot of cards were opened via SP pre-approval. 

Cold apps always resulted in HP.

That ship definitely sailed long time ago. 

Message 8 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@NextUp2bat wrote:

Hi,

I thought I read on this forum a year or so ago that Discover do soft pulls for new cards if you have existing cards, I can't find that thread now. Is that really the case? I did a prequalify and am strongly considering it for a balance transfer card and of course would love to save a HP.

No they don't do that.

I think you're thinking of American Express, which does do that.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@NextUp2bat wrote:

Hi,

No they don't do that.

I think you're thinking of American Express, which does do that.

They used to, OPs recollection is correct. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.