cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have a shot @ Barclays Ring or BBVA/Compass?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I have a shot @ Barclays Ring or BBVA/Compass?

I've read as much as I can find about it.  To me from what I've read, I think at best I'd be border line.  I plan to apply once next month when I only have 3 inquiries in the past 6 months instead of 5 on my TU.

• BK discharged 12/16 - Only thing on any report
  • Scores right now - 665ish F8.  Think they should/hopefully jump a little by the end of the month
  • 12% utilization reporting as of now, but once all update it'll be <9%
  • 10-18 inquiries depending on the report
  • AAoA 1 year
  • 1 new account last 6 months (NFCU).  13 in the past 2 years.  10 of which are active and  3 closed by me, in good standing (CreditOne, one of Comenity's store cards that they lied to me over the phone and said the mailer was for the MC (had confusing wording bouncing between store/MC) and a CapitalOne that got combined with another C1 card)
  • 7 of the 10 reporting 0 balance (Amazon/OverStock/NFCU)
  •  35000ish in credit lines total

Looking at the Ring just for the 0% APR BT to finish paying off what I owe instead of the interest.  Smiley LOL
I can't get any where with NFCU.  $500 Platinum seems to be it right now.  Reached my max limit with them and doesn't seem like it's gonna budge any time soon.  Signed up with PenFed the same time I did NFCU and they denied me.  Don't remember the reasoning exactly, but from what I read if I even get in with them now, it probably wouldn't be any better than NFCU.  Also considering BBVA/Compass and actually use them as my bank too if I can get a decent limit, which is actually what I'd prefer instead of the Ring card.

Just looking for a little input on what you guys think my chances would be, or if I'd have better/same odds with BBVA/Compass possibly?  Thanks in advance!  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Do I have a shot @ Barclays Ring or BBVA/Compass?

As you bank with BBVA, you might try asking in your branch if they can do a pre-qual for a card. I know BBVA cards can go up to a 30% APR, which might get you a card out of them, but I wouldn't even think of carrying a balance on that.

I'd suggest gardening for a while and letting some HP's fall off and your scores grow. In the process, you can work on growing your NFCU card to a higher limit.

As far as Barclays, they hate lots of HP's. That one isn't likely where you are right now.

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChargedUp wrote:

As you bank with BBVA, you might try asking in your branch if they can do a pre-qual for a card. I know BBVA cards can go up to a 30% APR, which might get you a card out of them, but I wouldn't even think of carrying a balance on that.

I'd suggest gardening for a while and letting some HP's fall off and your scores grow. In the process, you can work on growing your NFCU card to a higher limit.

As far as Barclays, they hate lots of HP's. That one isn't likely where you are right now.

Thanks for the response!  And yeah, where I'm standing with them.  Wasn't sure since I read "6 months" a lot, if they kinda over look the rest and only the last 6 months or what.

I actually don't bank with BBVA/Compass.  Was stating if that seemed more likely, I'd go down that avenue and use them as my bank.  Guess I could have worded that a little better to make it more clear.  And not haven't really come cross much on them on how they may feel towards me.

I'm hoping to try to get 1 more, preferrably with a 0% BT offer and then intend to garden for a gooooood while.

Message 3 of 24
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

Thanks for the response!  And yeah, where I'm standing with them.  Wasn't sure since I read "6 months" a lot, if they kinda over look the rest and only the last 6 months or what.

I actually don't bank with BBVA/Compass.  Was stating if that seemed more likely, I'd go down that avenue and use them as my bank.  Guess I could have worded that a little better to make it more clear.  And not haven't really come cross much on them on how they may feel towards me.

I'm hoping to try to get 1 more, preferrably with a 0% BT offer and then intend to garden for a gooooood while.

BBVA was sending me offers for their Clearpoints card at least twice a week for almost a year. My scores were in the 690-720 range at the time with 27% utilization and 5 - 8 hp's (thanks to a HP happy car dealership Smiley Frustrated ) The possibility of that card having a 30% APR was an immediate turn off. Even their lowest APR was 18% IIRC so there was nothing enticing except for the no interest for 12 months, but that can be found on much better cards than the Clear points.  As NFCU only gave you $500, it was a borderline approval as they're know for being quite generous with their starting credit lines. Your NFCU card will grow quite nicely in time and responsible use! Smiley Happy

Most banks will look at all your HP's, especially on a thin file with a BK that isn't even 2 years old. The HP's don't affect your score as much as they age and ultimately fall off. On a thick and aged file, they matter less and less. Capital One tends not to be as sensitive to HP's, but you likely would get another low limit card, and with them, it is all but impossible to get low limit cards to grow into anything useful.

Getting rid of Credit One was a big step in the right direction! Thumbs up on that. Keeping up good payment history while keeping utilization in check will open up bigger and better things... It's all in good time though.

BTW, welcome to MyFICO!

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW, welcome to MyFICO!

Thanks!  Actually joined about a year ago, just don't do much posting - but visit visit/read daily.

Yeah, all I read/hear about NFCU is it'll grow.  Barely getting in was my assumption as well.  Start of the month was my 6 month mark, tried CLI and a new card, but max limit denial.  Tried at 3 month as well for both, same reasoning.  They're actually a huge majority of my INQs for the past year.  Had an offer (I believe) briefly for a CLOC when I was fiddling around with it, but when I applied I had my TU frozen (thought they pulled EQ for it), so denied.  And when I inquired if that was an actual offer, suggesting I had a shot since I was denied for max limit on the credit stuff, all I got was more confusion back. 

Not sure if my utilization on it is what's causing them hesitation on letting me wiggle my foot a bit further into the door or not.  I maxed out the card with a BT and been paying minimum + a little.  Before I did the BT, I called multiple times and asked if it would and they all said no.  That it was the smart move to pay off higher APRs and what the 0% offer was for.  

Might end up calling them and further inquiring about the CLOC since their replies via messages left a bitter, unanswered taste in my mouth.  And also find out if they're still on the same page that carrying a large balance on that 0% offer still isn't causing me harm when it comes to CLI/products.  

Message 5 of 24
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Welcome to MyFICO

IMHO, I believe you should stop applying for CCs since your AAOA is only 1 year which will keep decreasing your score every time you apply for a card. I say wait until the youngest reaches 12 months.

If you’re only making minimum payments + a little, this is not a good sign to lenders. They may see you as risky already, especially since you keep applying for credit.

Just my 2cents

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:
Welcome to MyFICO

IMHO, I believe you should stop applying for CCs since your AAOA is only 1 year which will keep decreasing your score every time you apply for a card. I say wait until the youngest reaches 12 months.

If you’re only making minimum payments + a little, this is not a good sign to lenders. They may see you as risky already, especially since you keep applying for credit.

Just my 2cents

Yeah, that's what I thought and why I confirmed multiple times they wouldn't hold it against me.  And each time I was told in so many words that maxing it out and making my minimums wouldn't be held against me by them, so I can get other stuff down and save some money.  I mean, since I've signed up with them my utility has gone from upper 20s to <9%, so not like it's happening any where else and I've been doing what I said.  Plus they see the money coming in/out of my account paying my others off too.  But yeah, I see what you're saying.

Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to argue against advice.  Especially since I'm not and the advice being given is what I want.  But at the same time, really do want (and at the same time, don't - ha) to get something to continue with my goal with out having to start carry a balance else where.  Would just prefer an increase on my Plat and pay NFCU (less) interest > Syncrhony and/or Comenity - in a perfect world.

Guess I'm going to call them, since messaging just gets me aggrevated with them and all I hear is about their superb support.  I just prefer text based stuff so I can easier document what I said and what was said to me for the reason that I forget stuff 5 mins after I'm told.  lol

Message 7 of 24
Gmood1
Super Contributor

How bout try the pre-qualification and see where it takes you?
https://online.bbvacompass.com/apply/credit-card-prequal?source=sba&oneTimeToken=SSOls/5v/LlXLNcqyXm...Smiley Surprised

They have been solid for me. If you get a solid rate and not a range. You have a shot IMO!

They do SP your EX CR. That's what's cool about BBVA. You know your credit limit before you submit the app for a HP.

Message 8 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Your thin credit file is most likely holding you back for now with Navy. Why not check out Amex who often offer 0% on bt for their Everyday card. Check out their prequals and even check out Discover
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

How bout try the pre-qualification and see where it takes you?
https://online.bbvacompass.com/apply/credit-card-prequal?source=sba&oneTimeToken=SSOls/5v/LlXLNcqyXm...Smiley Surprised

They have been solid for me. If you get a solid rate and not a range. You have a shot IMO!

They do SP your EX CR. What's cool about BBVA, you know your credit limit before you submit the app for a HP.

Didn't know that existed, thanks!  Lots of their stuff seems to be more or less directed to calling/visiting a branch.  With that said, they are available here in AZ and all their cards state so, but when I choose AZ as my state it tells me they aren't available in my state and won't submit.  lol

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.