Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you ever stop asking for CLI?

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

Do you ever stop asking for CLI?

Was thinking today.....maybe its time to stop aksing for CLI.

Through the knowledge I have atttained mostly on these boards I have a managed to increse my limits from $5K to over $220K in less than 2 years and now my average staring limit on new apps seesm to come in at around $15K.

I have far more credit than I need at this point and my utilization will now pobably never go over 9% so I dont need any more utilization buffers.

Despite not needing any more credit I still request increases every couple of months depending on the issuer and its been a long time since I got a denial on a CLI request.

For those of you that have reached your score goals, limit goals etc...do you keep trying to get limit increases just for the hell of it?

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Do you ever stop asking for CLI?

@IWOL wrote:

Was thinking today.....maybe its time to stop aksing for CLI.

Through the knowledge I have atttained mostly on these boards I have a managed to increse my limits from $5K to over $220K in less than 2 years and now my average staring limit on new apps seesm to come in at around $15K.

I have far more credit than I need at this point and my utilization will now pobably never go over 9% so I dont need any more utilization buffers.

Despite not needing any more credit I still request increases every couple of months depending on the issuer and its been a long time since I got a denial on a CLI request.

For those of you that have reached your score goals, limit goals etc...do you keep trying to get limit increases just for the hell of it?

I'm not the target responder for this question (I haven't reached my goal scores etc.) but I think there should be a sweet spot. Lenders may get uncomfortable if my CL is too high compared to my income (possible risky exposure). I personally want all my cards to reach 5 digits without HP and then stop there and wait for auto-CLIs if banks give them, and not bother if they don't. 

Message 2 of 35
Open123
Super Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

These days, I only request for a CLI if an existing one isn't sufficient for how I plan to use the card.  Matter of fact, there are many cards I app'ed for purely for the benefits or bonus, and have requested CLDs to $5K, or even $2.5K.

Message 3 of 35
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I read the title and opened the thread with the intention of posting:  "NO!!".

After reading your post I'm not so sure...

Message 4 of 35
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Guess it depends if it will be a hp or sp Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 35
Shock
Established Contributor

Yeah..my current goal is 100k in lines across 5 or maybe 6 cards. After that, I don't think I'd press the issue until i hit another life stage. currently still in school atm. but even so, i dont see myself needing anymore than that. There comes a point where its no longer beneficial to you and it's asking for more credit for the sake of it.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 6 of 35
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Im at over 100k with 7 cards so I'm happy
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 7 of 35
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Good question.   I just got all of my SyncB cards up to $5K, but I'm wondering if I've really ever going to need that much for store cards.   I think it might help the major lenders be more willing to give me CLs over $5K, but that's really the main justification.    I'll probably keep pushing on them, but I don't see a huge need for it currently.  Of course, if any of those upgrade to cobranded CCs, then I might want to push those ones to at least $10K

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 35
iwazl71
Frequent Contributor

i still ask for increases as long it is a soft pull.  i find that satisfies my apping craving.

Scores: EQ 796, EX 790, TU 807
Personal and Business Cards: 31 with 763k
High Limit Cards: CSP 50k | BoA Cash 81k | NFCU flagship 60k | Penfed Rewards 50k | Aviator Silver 52k
Message 9 of 35
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

hey I can relate to you!

so you can ignore your cards and stop or just ask occassionally to see what happens

remember, these institutions can close your card or cut your limit to NOTHING in a heartbeat, especially in a recession, so the general idea is to just keep your score high.

if you ever want to get some secured assets on leverage, like a mortgage for a house, you will want to be exempt from the woes of the common man.

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.