Your thoughts are appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Re: Do you wait 90/180 days to apply for 2nd Chase Card 3/24

@AyaMai wrote:

Chase doesn't have any specific rules on having to wait 3-6 months for a second card. I believe their only limit is no more than 2 cards in 30 days.

Waiting the 6 months might make an additional HP less impactful if you have a thin file.

Some people try to do 2 Chase cards at once In hopes of them combining into one HP, but there are conflicting data points on this and I wouldn't assume it to be the case.

Edit: Apparently I was incorrect and there is nothing conflicting about this, never happens

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 2 of 9
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@SDMarik wrote:

@AyaMai wrote:

Chase doesn't have any specific rules on having to wait 3-6 months for a second card. I believe their only limit is no more than 2 cards in 30 days.

Waiting the 6 months might make an additional HP less impactful if you have a thin file.

Some people try to do 2 Chase cards at once In hopes of them combining into one HP, but there are conflicting data points on this and I wouldn't assume it to be the case.

Chase no longer combined HPs. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase will not approve you for a card if you’ve opened 5 or more new card accounts in the last 24 months. To calculate your 5/24 score check your credit report.

Message 4 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SDMarik wrote:

@AyaMai wrote:

There aren't many conflicting data points.   Chase does not combine inquiries and their policy is to not approve more than 1 card iin a day.  There are occasional contrarian examples where a 2nd card gets auto-approved same-day but while the 1st card remains intact the 2nd card invariably gets closed about 3-6 weeks later (and the 2nd HP is not withdrawn).

One can

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Chase never reused HPs.

What was happening is often when there are two inquiries in a same day from the same lender, CRAs were independently from Chase  removing one as a "duplicate" 

So, in reactionary fashion, Chase changed the rules, so now no two apps in the 24 period. Of course, someone always going to try, some may fall through the cracks initially, but CF described above what happens when one falls through the cracks. 

Message 6 of 9
SDMarik
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase will not approve you for a card if you’ve opened 5 or more new card accounts in the last 24 months. To calculate your 5/24 score check your credit report.

There have been a bunch of data points recently contradicting this. While it is the rule of thumb, there are certianly exceptions made when it comes to targeted black or green check offers and pre-qualifications on the things like the chase amazon card.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 7 of 9
increasingmyfico
Regular Contributor

@SDMarik wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There have been a bunch of data points recently contradicting this. While it is the rule of thumb, there are certianly exceptions made when it comes to targeted black or green check offers and pre-qualifications on the things like the chase amazon card.

Only on cobranded cards. No exceptions on core Sapphire and Freedom products. More likely than not 5/24 is still a major consideration. 

Message 8 of 9
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Somehow, it seems the majority of the discussion hasn't really related to OP's original question.  @AyaMai just asked if waiting a longer period of 90 or 180 days between Chase applications is suggested, but never said anything about opening two accounts in a single day trying to use one HP.  And OP also never asked about exceptions to 5/24.

Back to the original question, my belief is that yes, it is better to wait 90 to 180 days between Chase cards.  My rationale is that Chase is sensitive to credit-seeking behavior (as evidenced by the 5/24 rule) and Chase has been known to shut down their cards when they learn an applicant has included them in an app spree.  I applied for five Chase cards in a row in 2018-2019.  While I have a Chase credit relationship dating back to 2000,  I always spaced my applications at least 90 days so as not to raise undue concerns with them.  All my applications were approved and cards/limits all stayed intact.  Would they have been okay with more aggressive applications?  Possibly, but I've usually recommended that 90-day+ pacing as the safer course of action.  I believe that would be even more important with a lower FICO, thinner profile, or less-established relationship with Chase. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.