cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does AMEX (Gold) Just look at the FICO score or do they scrutinize an entire report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does AMEX (Gold) Just look at the FICO score or do they scrutinize an entire report?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does AMEX (Gold) Just look at the FICO score or do they scrutinize an entire report?

The whole thing like any other lender. Typical wisdom is to not cold-app for core Amex cards unless your over 700 EX, but I was approved at 658 for both BCP and Gold four days apart, after having established a relationship with them on three cobranded cards. My first Amex were approved at about a 638, again lower than usually suggested. Profile history had a lot to do with that.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does AMEX (Gold) Just look at the FICO score or do they scrutinize an entire report?

Thanks for the reply! Any idea if they look at the bankcard version or regular fico score?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s the FICO8, and it’s almost exclusively from Experian. Keep in mind that even if you have no preapproval, it does not mean you won’t get a card. My first two had no preapprovals at all. My other three were, as shown in my account.
Message 4 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Amex will base their decision off your entire credit report/history. Score is only one part of the process.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My EX is 695 but I have 4 /30-day lateness payments on a car loan about 1 year ago. If I get over 700 soon, what do you think the chances of approval for any AMEX card would be? I know this just a guess!!

Message 6 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Those are recent derogs, you might get approved, but I'd put some distance between those lates and any applications. 

You might want to head over to rebuilding subforum and see if anything can be done about those lates

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/bd-p/rebuildingcredit

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. Thanks for the advice.

Message 8 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Also, score wise, no real difference in having a 695 and 700. Based on score alone both would get you approved were you to go off that aloneSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 13
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Being a charge card, Amex Gold is not particularly difficult to qualify for. The recent derog would worry me, though.

If there are any lenders who go ONLY off FICO scores, I would love to meet them. For me, FICO scores and approvals seem almost completely unrelated. Granted, I have a weird profile right now.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.