Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does BECU offer preapprovals?

tag
joeydtx
Regular Contributor

Does BECU offer preapprovals?

Not sure where this topic would go, thought this might be best place.

As to the topic, does BECU offer preapprovals or review members at certain time periods?  If they do, was wondering what they look like or any experience or what to look for/expect if they do.

Bit of history, I applied for their Cash back think about 8 months ago and was denied by the system, but I called to see exactly why before and maybe get a feel.  The Loan Rep told meit was auto by the system, but that I "was close" to their requirements.  I asked if I could get looked at for a secured card, but that too was a no go.

~JD
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Does BECU offer preapprovals?

@joeydtx wrote:

As to the topic, does BECU offer preapprovals or review members at certain time periods?  If they do, was wondering what they look like or any experience or what to look for/expect if they do.

Bit of history, I applied for their Cash back think about 8 months ago and was denied by the system, but I called to see exactly why before and maybe get a feel.  The Loan Rep told meit was auto by the system, but that I "was close" to their requirements.  I asked if I could get looked at for a secured card, but that too was a no go.

I am unaware if BECU offers pre-quals or pre-approvals on their credit cards. I don't recall getting any.

I don't know what goes into their UW standards. Perhaps, is there something we can assist you on in getting your profile in better shape?

Message 2 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@joeydtx wrote:

No, they do not offer pre-approvals to new or existing members. 

They also aren't particularly sensitive to dirty files as long as derogs aren't new and/or utilization, so I'm curious, what was the denial reason?

Message 3 of 7
joeydtx
Regular Contributor

More curiosity than anything really, im currently gardening the crops I have while I keep lowering my UTI but would jump if they ever offered me one.  Was just wondering if they ping your account in some way like Penfed or DCU.  Would love to get their card and have that as their main for my monthly expenses and build on it.

I think my UTI was 68% and FICO was 645, not sure why I pulled the trigger but was expecting a denial to reach out on the Secured.

Im currently at 673 and 41%, with March all my overtime at work + yearly bonus try and get that even further.  

~JD
Message 4 of 7
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@joeydtx wrote:

More curiosity than anything really, im currently gardening the crops I have while I keep lowering my UTI but would jump if they ever offered me one.  Was just wondering if they ping your account in some way like Penfed or DCU.  Would love to get their card and have that as their main for my monthly expenses and build on it.

I think my UTI was 68% and FICO was 645, not sure why I pulled the trigger but was expecting a denial to reach out on the Secured.

Im currently at 673 and 41%, with March all my overtime at work + yearly bonus try and get that even further.  

68% aggregate utilization is somewhat high. In general, best practice is to optimize your credit reports before applying to improve your odds at approval. Prime would be under 4.5%, then 9.5%, then 29.5%, etc utilization. You get the idea. Hopefully, next time you apply you could at least get under 29.5% UTI.

Also, if they sent you a denial letter, review that and see what areas you need to address.

Message 5 of 7
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@joeydtx wrote:

660+ seems to be the scores they look for... bringing your utilization down will improve your score and your chances at getting a card.

As always YMMV, higher scores could be denied and lower scores could be approved. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 6 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@joeydtx wrote:

Once utilization gets a bit out of control, additional CL would help, but unfortunately, that's where denials happen for that exact reason. 

Just work on getting it lowered while you garden, and when it's gets at manageable level, go for it.

Their HPs are *reusable* for 30 days, if you're interested in additional products, that would be the good time to ask. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.