Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Barclay have 6/24 Rule?

tag
ficomember
Contributor

Does Barclay have 6/24 Rule?

I am considering applying for the Barclay Arrival+ credit card. After doing my research, it sounds like Barclay now has unpublished 6/24 rule?

Does your experience show different? 

Here are a couple blog posts I found on this rule. 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/is-barclay-denying-those-with-many-new-accounts-similar-to-524-contri...

This one is most recent

https://mypointslife.blogspot.com/2019/05/barclay-624-rule-data-points-on-personal-business-credit-c...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Barclay have 6/24 Rule?

I know I got the Uber with 15/24 showing.  I specifically avoided the 6/24 cards to get a card with them and was auto approved for 11K and called a CA and had it bumped to 25K w/o any issues.

Most of the research I did on Barclay's pointed to issues when youo're getting into the higher SUB's with them.  Similar to Cap1 Savor and their little rule about 24 months.  If you're higher in the /24 game be wary about your choices.

Message 2 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Rule only applies to the Arrival+ card persay other cards I don't believe they have a rule as I got the AA business card with 30/24 approx at the time and many other barclay cards such as ubers, etc...  It really comes down to profile, etc..  I have been doing business with barclay's for 5+ years etc and never had an isssue getting any of their cards.  Granted since it was a business card I had to answer a few business questions which led into why I had so many recent cards which I calmly explained to the UW understanding.  I do believe the arrrival+ is a firm 6/24, but other cards it is all profile dependent and they can throw a lame excuse of too many new accounts, but really that is just a reason they can pull if they don't want to approve you.

Message 3 of 8
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

When did you get approved with 15/24?

I tried almost exactly a year ago and the number of new accounts I had was all the recon guy wanted to talk about.  I was 20/24 at the time.

Also how did you know which 6/24 cards to avoid?  Is there a list somewhere?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

When did you get approved with 15/24?

I tried almost exactly a year ago and the number of new accounts I had was all the recon guy wanted to talk about.  I was 20/24 at the time.

Also how did you know which 6/24 cards to avoid?  Is there a list somewhere?

Uber / plenty of research looking at posts and rules about their cards.  

If you narrow down your list of prospects it's a bit easier to figure out the trends of a lender and/or specific card.  I hit several sites before applying for any card to evaluate things before pulling the trigger.  The biggest though is DOC for checking some of the nuances of a lender and verifying the rules there and compare them to another site that has a quick table of the ins/outs per lender.

Message 5 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It's an algorithmic [AI] restriction which is driven by an overall individual profile, as @CreditCuriosity mentioned upthread. Some folks can overcome it while others will not, even despite numerous reconsideration attempts.

There's really no "list" of cards per se that meet such conditions since I've been able to get approved beyond the "6/24" restriction that's cited in DoC or other sources.

That being said, the Arrival+ has tighter UW requirements than the other products.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure the Arrival+, but I was approved for the Barclays JetBlue Plus card with 10/24 earlier this month.

Message 7 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

From all accounts I've read, it is very difficult/impossible to be approved for the Arrival+ if you are above 6/24.

For the other products, it is profile dependent. Barclay is sensitive to new accounts in general, but that doesn't mean all of their products follow a 6/24 rule or even close. In general they don't like to see many new accounts, but they don't look back 24 months for every product.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.