Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Barclay have a long memory?

tag
Longroad
Established Contributor

Does Barclay have a long memory?

I started on this forum about 7 years ago with credit scores in the 500s and needless to say no credit. Now I have scores right at 700 across the board and cls on my cards totalling almost $100K. But my journey was not without a few hiccups along the way. My first card that I received was the Barclay Arrival+ which I promptly ran up to the limit and paid the minimum. The bear struck back with their usual AA and cancelled my card. I have paid off the balance, but I would love to have the Arrival+ back in my cards. Does anyone know if Barclay holds a grudge or would they be open to starting over? Thanks to everyone for the great info here.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Barclay have a long memory?

If an elephant never forgets, Barclays encases it in amber and puts it on a shelf for future generations.  

Since you didn’t actually burn them, you have a chance, but there have been plenty of previous relationship denials around that had the same AA and canceled story. 

Only real way to know is to try. 

Message 2 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

There's life after [Barclays] AA. As long as the same pattern isn't repeated, you should be good.

Now, have you opened a lot of accounts in the past 12-24 months or are there a high number of inquiries in the past 6-12 months? No derogs I assume?
Message 3 of 10
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

What is AA?

I hate all these abbreviations on here sometimes.

Message 4 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

AA = Adverse Action.

You can definitely learn more about the abbreviations used throughout the forums by clicking on the link below @Hockeypnc1:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458
Message 5 of 10
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Got it!

So the adverse action was them closing your card because you got it too high?

Message 6 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Typically, any adverse action taken by a financial institution can include a credit line decrease, balance chasing, account closure, rewards forfeiture, blacklisting or even an exit strategy where the institution may ban an individual altogether...as some examples.
Message 7 of 10
Longroad
Established Contributor

2 new accounts July ‘17 and 1 Aug ‘18. TU has 1 inq this month for new car. EQ has 2 from Aug ‘18 (1 from card and 1 from annual bank pull with my business LOC). EX has 2 from the July ‘17 cards. There are 2 derogs from 2013 on EQ. Medicals from my past life. 

Message 8 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I'm thinking you should be good based on those details you shared. They primarily pull TU and SP EX.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The answer is YES!

I had a charge off with them on a $500 Apple Card in 2007. I have been rebuilding since December 2017 and Fico 8 scores in the 700s across all 3 bureaus. I have tried to get the JetBlue card 4 times now and they still won't give it to me based on the charge off 12 years ago. The good thing is when you apply, no HP (at least they have mercy there)!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.