cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it matter where I apply for AMEX cards FROM?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it matter where I apply for AMEX cards FROM?

Hi folks, 

I'm finally ready to come out of the garden & apply for an Amex Delta card. I had posted about this a while back and decided to stay in the garden for another few months. I have a new question though: Does it matter WHERE I apply FROM in terms of approvals? The reason I ask is that if I go to the Amex site, I'm prequalified for SEVERAL of their cards including the delta. On the Amex site, the welcome bonus is 50,000 miles for the Delta gold. However, Delta has now sent me an email with a 70,000 mile welcome bonus if I apply through that email. So my question is: Is there a difference in approval chances if I go through the Amex site where I've been prequalified, or the Delta email where I could get 20,000 more miles? For reference, the experian app and Credit Karma both "Match" the card to me and CK says I have "very good" approval odds. 

My FICO 8 scores are: 

Exp: 690

TU: 683

EQ: 685

And my Vantage scores are all in the mid 730s

My util is 17% overall

The credit services mention loan balances (I have 2) as a hurting factor, but payment history as a good one. 

I'm always nervous about using the inquiry ( I have 1 on my exp report, and 3 on TU), and I've worked so hard to rebuild to the point where I'm at ( I was in low 500s 2 years ago). 

Thoughts on if where I start the app from matters or not? I'm really hoping. I've wanted an Amex for some time. Also, the fact that I'm prequal for several Amex cards is a good sign for Delta's easier UW, right? (he asks hopefully).

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Does it matter where I apply for AMEX cards FROM?

I am inclined to say no.  If you're getting prequalified (though that in itself is not 100% guaranteed but very very likely) you should not have an issue using the Delta mailer.  I received the same Delta mailer and was also curious since the 70,000 was attractive.  I followed through the process but didn't complete the app.  I then also looked directly through AMEX and like you, found the smaller SUB.  The 70,000 mailer came directly from Delta not AMEX and that's why you need to use your Delta # to apply versus an invitation number.  The Delta mailer is just marketing.  The AMEX prequal, while also marketing...since you're seeing it is a likely outcome.  Best of luck!

Message 2 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Doesn't matter.  Apply through whatever portal or affinity link extends you the best legitimate offer, creditcards.com as an example sometimes has the best AMEX promotional offers.   If you're an existing cardholder AMEX will match you up anyway when you're submitting the application (but will still honor the terms of the affinity link if you're otherwise eligible for the promotion).

BTW approval odds from Credit Karma and other such sites aren't worth their weight in doodookakapoopoo.  They're based on generic demographic data and not your individual profile, they recommend cards to me all the time that I already hold, sometimes with poor approval odds 🤣

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Agree with all of the above, it doesn't matter where you apply through, so just apply through whatever gives you the best SUB. Smiley Happy

Also, CK and CreditMatch odds aren't accurate and don't matter. Pay them no mind. They get paid to advertise cards to you, and as @coldfusion mentioned above, they don't really reflect your individual odds, more like generic demographic odds.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@coldfusion wrote:

Doesn't matter.  Apply through whatever portal or affinity link extends you the best legitimate offer, creditcards.com as an example sometimes has the best AMEX promotional offers.   If you're an existing cardholder AMEX will match you up anyway when you're submitting the application (but will still honor the terms of the affinity link if you're otherwise eligible for the promotion).

BTW approval odds from Credit Karma and other such sites aren't worth their weight in doodookakapoopoo.  They're based on generic demographic data and not your individual profile, they recommend cards to me all the time that I already hold, sometimes with poor approval odds 🤣

Question @coldfusion, are you saying that my 100lbs in Credit Karma doodookakapoopoo is worth nothing?  I'm so disappointed 💸

Message 5 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

Question @coldfusion, are you saying that my 100lbs in Credit Karma doodookakapoopoo is worth nothing?  I'm so disappointed 💸

Can use it as fertilizer to grow 🧅 🥔 🌽 🥕 💐 🌷 🌹 🌺 🌸 🌼 🌻

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 8
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Another vote for "doesn't matter". You will be evaluated by the same systems for approval either way, so if the Amex site says you will get the card, you will probably get it, regardless of entry point. This is a similar idea to the "incognito browser mode" to try to get a better SUB. Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 7 of 8
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion 

"doodookakapoopoo"

LOL Good stuff Smiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.