Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade Barclay’s Black Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Downgrade Barclay’s Black Card?

Anyone have any success downgrading their Barclay’s Black Card? I just got hit with the annual fee and considering I don’t use it that much anymore I was wondering if it was possible to downgrade to the Titanium Card.  Has anyone here done it successfully or have any other advice I would appreciate it.  I googled around and heard some people were able to get them to waive the fee when they had called or given the option to switch to a lower tier.  I don’t want to close the account or lose my credit history with them so I am just trying to figure out what my options are and if this would affect anything.  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Downgrade Barclay’s Black Card?

There is not much data on this card. I would definitely call to see what your options are. That’s a hefty AF if your not using it much. Please keep us posted. 

Message 2 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I would echo the above and see whether they'd be willing to waive the AF. How much usage have you placed on it in the past year?
Message 3 of 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Friend had the titatium card although not black card and they waived the AF for two years straight and he just eventually cancelled it as a worthless card.  So might ask them to waive it as they might, but he never even asked and just said he wanted to cancel and they came to him both times on waving af..

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only use it enough to make sure it stays active. After I paid off the 10k balance transfer that I used when I had to fix my car, I kind of scaled back on it's use to pay it off. I have a Amex Platinum card which has similar benefits so it's kind of redundant at this point.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing a Card/Opening a New Card

So I have been thinking about this since getting hit with the Barclay's Black Card annual fee of $495 a few weeks ago.  I was wondering what kind of hit my score would take closing this card (which I rarely use) and open a new card that would suit my needs more.  I have had the card for about 5 years and it has a 16k credit limit on it.  Recently, I recieved to CLI on 2 cards totaling 24k which would offset my utilization.  I use about 1% per month on all my cards and pay everything off monthly.  Right now I have 11 open cards including retail cards.  My credit score ranges anywhere from 826-846 depending on the bureau.  I wanted to open a Amex Gold Charge for the points benefits, and I am already a Platinum card member.  In the meantime I downgraded the card to Titanium which carries a $195 annual fee while I mull over the decision.  Looking for any advice or opinions.  Thanks

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing a Card/Opening a New Card

If you're not using it you shouldn't be paying for it.

I would just kill it completely as the card stays on your CR for 10 years anyway.  You already made up for the loss of CL with the CLI's and then some.

If you'll use Gold then get the card.  Charge cards are a bit different in how they report but, that doesn't seem to be an issue with your current scores in the 800's.

It might be better to detial out the cards you have and what your spend is usually.... there might be something better out there.  You can always get 4% dining w/ Uber through Barclay's for a $0 AF.  

Message 7 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're not using it you shouldn't be paying for it.

I would just kill it completely as the card stays on your CR for 10 years anyway.  You already made up for the loss of CL with the CLI's and then some.

If you'll use Gold then get the card.  Charge cards are a bit different in how they report but, that doesn't seem to be an issue with your current scores in the 800's.

It might be better to detial out the cards you have and what your spend is usually.... there might be something better out there.  You can always get 4% dining w/ Uber through Barclay's for a $0 AF.  

This exactly. There is no reason to pay AFs for cards you're not going to use or get benefit out of.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was wondering what kind of hit my score would take closing this card (which I rarely use) and open a new card that would suit my needs more. 

Zero scoring hit for closing a card.  Slight possible scoring hit from opening a new card, but whatever hit that is usually goes away in 3-6 months, give or take.

Message 9 of 10
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

The tiny blip your credit report might see is nowhere near enough to make it worth paying $495(!!!) to keep that useless card.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.