Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EZest AmEx to get approved for?

tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

EZest AmEx to get approved for?

Hi all-

Keeping this very generic and all things being equal, as a general rule whats the esiest AmEx card to get and fico wise, when would you suggest applying. From what I read,

it used to be the Delta Sky Miles. Is that true? FICO needed used to be 690ish is that still true? I know AmEX claims to look at the totaal picture thats why im just

looking for a guide and not a battle plan

Thx and happy ester

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: EZest AmEx to get approved for?

You can always type the information in to the prequalification web page and see if anything pops up.
Message 2 of 33
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

DW just got an SPG with a 678 EX. She got an Everyday last year with lower

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 3 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Meanmchine wrote:

Hi all-

Keeping this very generic and all things being equal, as a general rule whats the esiest AmEx card to get and fico wise, when would you suggest applying. From what I read,

it used to be the Delta Sky Miles. Is that true? FICO needed used to be 690ish is that still true? I know AmEX claims to look at the totaal picture thats why im just

looking for a guide and not a battle plan

Thx and happy ester

Welcome to the forums!

The 'short and simple' answer to your question is that anecdotally, the Delta Gold is the easiest revolver to get approved for, but there are many examples of folks getting approved for the other revolvers with less than perfect stats.  I got approved for the BCP with two baddies still reporting, and a past negative history with Amex (IIBK 16 years ago) with a EX score of 695 at the time.  My APR is the highest, and the credit line is only $1k, but I got approved. 

Others have had similar luck, but there are outliers on both the high and low side (folks with better looking reports sometimes get denied, folks with worse scores sometimes get approved). 

Also, it's generally believed by many folks on here that the Amex charge cards (any of them) are easier to get than their revolvers.  Keep in mind that underwriting is said to be the same for the Green, Gold/PRG, and even Platinum, since the color of the card only determines your benefits, not your spending limit.  There are folks with a Green card that will have a higher spending limit than someone else with a Platinum.  The charge cards don't have credit lines, per se, since they are NPSL (no pre-set spending limit).  They have an internal "spending limit" that is set by Amex based on credit score, income, assets, account history, etc. and is dynamic.

Hope this helps!  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 33
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Thankyou UncleB and KUDOS

Generically speaking would you say a Green Card might be a little bit easier to get approved for  then Delta?  Back in the day the general rule was that the

soft ceiling spending limit on the green card was 6x your largest statement balance. Of course that rule didnt apply if you vacationing

in Las Vegas.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 33
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

I was declined for the green but got my delta gold with a 648 credit score, 3 COs, 75 inq, and 2 derogs.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 6 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Meanmchine wrote:

Thankyou UncleB and KUDOS

Generically speaking would you say a Green Card might be a little bit easier to get approved for  then Delta?  Back in the day the general rule was that the

soft ceiling spending limit on the green card was 6x your largest statement balance. Of course that rule didnt apply if you vacationing

in Las Vegas.

It might be the case... but opinions on here will vary.  In my own situation I felt it was, so I applied for the Green first, and was rather shocked to be approved!  However the card I "really" wanted was the BCP, so around 30 minutes later I applied for it, and was approved again.  Again, the terms weren't the greatest, but that was primarily due to my past history with them.

Had I realized at the time that the underwriting was the same for the PRG I would have simply tried for it first... used correctly much of the AF can be offset so that it's effectively the same AF as the Green (both of which are waived the first year, by the way).  I didn't know this then, so I'm about to close my own Green and possibly app for the PRG at a later time... it is possible to PC from a Green to the PRG, but you miss out on the bonus.

FWIW, generally if you apply for two cards with Amex in the same day, you end up with only one HP on Experian.  It's not guaranteed, and if you do end up with two there's no one you can 'complain' to, but it works out that way for most people.  Note that it only works with a revolver/charge combo... if you try for two revolvers the same day, the second will automatically go to review, causing a second HP a day or so later (defeating the purpose).

Message 7 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@lindsaydruart wrote:

I was declined for the green but got my delta gold with a 648 credit score, 3 COs, 75 inq, and 2 derogs.

^^^ This is an excellent example of how there is no 'set rule' on which is easiest to get approved for.  It's very much YMMV, but generally both the Green and Delta Gold are said to be among the easier of all the Amex cards (relatively speaking).

As for if the Delta is easier or the Green, it will really just depend on the individual profile.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 33
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

I'm almost certain the cobranded cards can also factor in your rewards programs. For instance, my Skymiles account is heavily used and open for well over a decade. I just apped for the HHonors card but I mistakenly put my account on there instead of my husband's and his is heavily used but mine isn't. I'll find out if that was approved on Monday. I don't have a ton of proof for that but I couldn't get any other Amexs but the Delta was easy peasy.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 9 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@lindsaydruart wrote:

I'm almost certain the cobranded cards can also factor in your rewards programs. For instance, my Skymiles account is heavily used and open for well over a decade. I just apped for the HHonors card but I mistakenly put my account on there instead of my husband's and his is heavily used but mine isn't. I'll find out if that was approved on Monday. I don't have a ton of proof for that but I couldn't get any other Amexs but the Delta was easy peasy.

I believe it's most likely that the Delta cards just have more relaxed underwriting, again relative to the others (even the Hilton).  As for your SkyMiles account having an impact, as far as I know the information feeds one way from Amex to Delta, i.e. Amex sends Delta information monthly on how many SkyMiles to credit your account, but I don't believe Amex has the ability to "see" how many SkyMiles you have or your Delta history (that would be cool, though).  I say this based on threads I've read over on the Amex Community site, moderated by actual Amex CSRs.

There are lots of threads here on how the Delta is the "easiest" revolver to get, and how the credit lines can be larger than the other revolvers for folks with marginal profiles (like myself).  If/when I apply for the Delta Gold card, I'll be able to (hopefully) add some data points.  My last baddie ages off Experian next week, so we might know soon. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.