cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easier to get charge cards from Amex versus credit cards?

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Easier to get charge cards from Amex versus credit cards?

I'm not sure if this is true for everyone, but Amex just doesn't seem to enjoy giving me revolving accounts but is just fine with approving me for charge cards. My first Amex card was the SPG with a SL of $1k, which I got this past March. That was kind of a slap in the face for me, but whatever I could wait 2 months for the 3x CLI that Amex is so well-known for. I got a targeted offer for the Amex Platinum soon (~1 week) after the SPG approval and decided to bite the bullet and got instantly approved. I figured Amex liked me, but then I was denied for the 3x CLI due to having too small a history with Amex. Following that, I tried to apply for the Delta Gold card in June but was denied, even after many  attempts at recon, for the same exact reason: too short Amex history. However, I was instantly approved for the Amex PRG. My scores with Experian have fluctuated between 690 and 710.

Is this a common thing for Amex to do? Are charge cards just less risky for them since they are obligated to be paid in full?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Easier to get charge cards from Amex versus credit cards?

Thanks for posting this! I was seriously just thinking about this question this morning! Looking forward to hearing thoughts and experiences on the matter. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@mkhan1093 wrote:

I'm not sure if this is true for everyone, but Amex just doesn't seem to enjoy giving me revolving accounts but is just fine with approving me for charge cards. My first Amex card was the SPG with a SL of $1k, which I got this past March. That was kind of a slap in the face for me, but whatever I could wait 2 months for the 3x CLI that Amex is so well-known for. I got a targeted offer for the Amex Platinum soon (~1 week) after the SPG approval and decided to bite the bullet and got instantly approved. I figured Amex liked me, but then I was denied for the 3x CLI due to having too small a history with Amex. Following that, I tried to apply for the Delta Gold card in June but was denied, even after many  attempts at recon, for the same exact reason: too short Amex history. However, I was instantly approved for the Amex PRG. My scores with Experian have fluctuated between 690 and 710.

Is this a common thing for Amex to do? Are charge cards just less risky for them since they are obligated to be paid in full?

I do think the charge cards are easier to get.

I assumed the reason was the annual fees.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 11
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Interesting, hadn't thought of that. But then by that same logic the Delta Gold also charges an annual fee. And I got approved for the PRG with no problem, which also offers the first year free just like the Delta Gold. So I don't think the annual fee plays into the algorithm that much?

Message 4 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Garden for 6 months

Rinse and repeat

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 11
mr_awesome
Established Member

I got my Delta Gold a little over a month ago, paid in full, and was approved for a new PRG just today. My scores were somewhere between 650 and 670 on approval for the PRG, and 635ish for the Delta Gold. I can tell you I used to be denied by AMEX for charge cards when I was in the 680s, so it's not just about the score, but I don't think it's just about internal history either. With a 1k SL on your SPG, it's borderline enough they might have used internal history as a reason for the denial.

Give it a few months and try again. If it's within 30 days of a denial, they will deny all your applications automatically. 

Payding down debt to prep for a mortgage.

Cards in my wallet: Amex Gold, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Lowes Advantage

Sock drawer: Lots of old store cards and not great no-rewards cards for history and utilization padding, some lame no AF cards I drunk-apped

Next Cards: AMEX Everyday and Chase Freedom?
Message 6 of 11
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Going to give one final recon a shot in about a month, right before the application is removed from the system. Will try to lower my UTIL overall and pay off all Amex balances so they might look upon me more favorably. The reason I'm so aggressive about this one particular application is that it was during the special promotional 60k signup offer, and this one also comes with a $100 statement credit on the first Delta purchase as opposed to simply $50. I could very well apply in the near future but would be missing out on those key perks.

Message 7 of 11
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

The underwriters would judge them both the same. I figure they like AF from two cards coming in. List your Scores and Util.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The charge cards are easier to get because they're not revolvers. You spend $2 or $2000, the balance is due in full when the statement cuts. I got my Platinum 6 months after my 1k SL ED approval, so, go figure. 
Message 9 of 11
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The charge cards are easier to get because they're not revolvers. You spend $2 or $2000, the balance is due in full when the statement cuts. I got my Platinum 6 months after my 1k SL ED approval, so, go figure. 

That's what I figured, but if someone was going to not pay Amex back and had intentions to go delinquent, wouldn't it not matter? I just see them as equally risky from a creditor's perspective.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.