Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax and HSBC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax and HSBC

Hello,

I wanted to apply for a CC with HSBC but I have a fraud alert on my credit report. I am terrified to add an inquiry for nothing. I'm at a 754 and I have no inquiries and no derogatory Mark's. Do you think that I have a chance?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Equifax and HSBC

A fraud alert by itself shouldn't trigger a decline but you can expect to have to go through hoops to prove that it's really you that applied. 

If you screw up the validation - it happens - and you're declined due to a validation failure you can make a good argument that the HP should be withdrawn.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 9
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Which HSBC card? If you don't have derogatories, it's a FICO and not Vantage score, and a thin file you should be ok. Have you checked their prequal or are you an existing customer?

i would take the fraud alert off for HSBC. They have tough and slow verification processes as it is. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My vantagescore is a 799. I have to see how to take it off. 

Message 4 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I believe you can sign in to https://my.equifax.com/membercenter/#/dashboard

And remove the fraud alert. If not a phone call or fax should take care of it.

Being terrified of a inquiry on your credit reports, equates to buying a new car and terrified to drive it.

Your credit is meant to be used. 

You have to be willing to use it to get what you want or need.

If not, what's the purpose of having it?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. I just went through a lot with identity theft. I'm still suffering.

Message 6 of 9
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree. I just went through a lot with identity theft. I'm still suffering.

If it makes you feel better, you can lock and unlock your EQ on their website at will. 

you can also leave it unlocked for an x amount of days in case you think you might forget to lock again. 

Message 7 of 9
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

IMHO, consider replacing your fraud alerts with record locks instead.  Much much easier to maintain.  Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 8 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

HSBC Uses a EQ NG1 modified version of FICO

Screenshot from my statement ..

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/FICO-NG1-Score/td-p/5955294

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.