cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally pre-qualified for Amex! (Thin, young profile)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally pre-qualified for Amex! (Thin, young profile)

Hello everyone.

With my new capital one balance and CL reporting to my Experian which is now a 704 Fico 8, I finally have pre qualified offers from Amex. I have offers for the BC Everyday card,  Everyday card, and the Cash Magnet.

They all have the 0% intro offers and no fee BT. But they don't have a fixed apr, they also come with their respective SUB. 

BC Ed card: $200 credit with $1000 spend within 3 months.

Ed card: 25,000 MR points with $2000 spend with 3 months.

Cash Magnet card: $200 credit with $1000 spend. 

Currently the CM & BC Ed cards have my attention. Although I already have an unlimited 1.5% cash back with my Cap 1 QS, it would be nice to have 0% for 15 months with the CM card. The 2% for gas stations, US department stores and 3% at supermarkets with the Ed card seems nice as well. Does anyone have a list of what qualifies as a US department store and supermarkets. I do most of my grocery shopping at HEB, and with a few times at Walmart. As a college student I might not be able to personally run a lot of spend with groceries but my parents can, they always spend around $400-$500 every 2-3 weeks on groceries. They always pay with cash so reimbursing me for the groceries won't be a problem, the 2% on gas would be nice since I'm always driving to school & the 3% at department stores is just a little bonus. I understand there are better gas cards but I can only work with what my Credit profile offers. Lol

Wondering what you guys and gals think, since I've read that if the apr isn't a set %, it might not be a good outcome. TIA for the knowledge. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
wingennis
Valued Contributor

Re: Finally pre-qualified for Amex! (Thin, young profile)

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone.

With my new capital one balance and CL reporting to my Experian which is now a 704 Fico 8, I finally have pre qualified offers from Amex. I have offers for the BC Everyday card,  Everyday card, and the Cash Magnet.

They all have the 0% intro offers and no fee BT. But they don't have a fixed apr, they also come with their respective SUB. 

BC Ed card: $200 credit with $1000 spend within 3 months.

Ed card: 25,000 MR points with $2000 spend with 3 months.

Cash Magnet card: $200 credit with $1000 spend. 

Currently the CM & BC Ed cards have my attention. Although I already have an unlimited 1.5% cash back with my Cap 1 QS, it would be nice to have 0% for 15 months with the CM card. The 2% for gas stations, US department stores and 3% at supermarkets with the Ed card seems nice as well. Does anyone have a list of what qualifies as a US department store and supermarkets. I do most of my grocery shopping at HEB, and with a few times at Walmart. As a college student I might not be able to personally run a lot of spend with groceries but my parents can, they always spend around $400-$500 every 2-3 weeks on groceries. They always pay with cash so reimbursing me for the groceries won't be a problem, the 2% on gas would be nice since I'm always driving to school & the 3% at department stores is just a little bonus. I understand there are better gas cards but I can only work with what my Credit profile offers. Lol

Wondering what you guys and gals think, since I've read that if the apr isn't a set %, it might not be a good outcome. TIA for the knowledge. Smiley Happy

Congratulations on getting your first Amex prequals!  That is a really big deal.  I've avoided their cash back cards because I personally don't like statement credits but I read other people being very happy with them.  I can say that the 25k MR/2k is a great bonus for the Everyday.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will have to watch a few videos regarding the MR point system, to brush up on it. I will take your suggestion into consideration! The ED card looks quite nice too. 👍🏼 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your prequal!

Message 4 of 14
newfossil
Valued Contributor

congratulations on your prequal!

Starting score - May 2018

April 2021

AAoA - 1 year 6 months
Message 5 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

When I was doing prequals for scientific reasons, I never got a set APR.

I cold apped via referral link and was approved.  

I wouldnt worry about thin aspect of your file but how old is your oldest account? 

Message 6 of 14
donkort
Valued Contributor

I feel like you will get approved because your credit file is "unencumbered."

I am a "real tough cookie with a long history."

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was an AU on a CFU, it was reporting since May 2019. I am no longer an AU due to the fact that the balance was bringing my score down significantly. My first actual card was a discover card, I got it in August 2019, then I also got the Capital one journey card (QS now) in September 2019.

My balances are as follows:

Discover $142/$1000

Cap 1 $46/$500

Perfect payment history and no baddies. 

Message 8 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You would probably get approved.

SL may not be high, but as long as your file stays clean, and you actually use their card, it will grow. 

Your file is young, so waiting a bit is an option, also. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats on the amex preaqualifications

HEB should be in the supermarket category.

it is for discover, so i'm assuming it will be the same for amex.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.