Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerhut Temp CLI Tricks & tools?

tag
Pit-Smoker
Regular Contributor

Fingerhut Temp CLI Tricks & tools?

Hey all!   I just hit my 1 year anniversary with Fingerhut. This is only commerorative in that it is also the anniversary of when I decided to be deliberate about my rebuild (thus starting with Fingerhut...  right?).  However, FH decided to send me one of their fabled "Temporary CLI"s to celebrate my birthday.  I was really hoping my underlying line would be higher before they started this, but here we are.  

So, current CLI was (is) 1450; now offered at 1850 (+400) to purchase (whatever) by May 31. Yes, I spend a pittance there once every 3-4 months or so to keep it active; yes, my balance is currently $0.00, and yes I would love to oust them from my report, but the extra limit is helping me at this time, and thus, so would "a little more credit."   I'm at about 37% total util and counting (downward) as quickly as possible. 

here are my questions, for anyone who can answer: 

1) If I spend $50, and get $50... and then pay it down, then spend another $50 before the deadline, anyone know if they'll offer only that $50 or $100 in perm CLI?   

2) Will it SHOW as 1850 on my CRs over the next couple of months, thus looking like a CLD in May when I don't take them up on their (ahem) "generous offer"?  

3) Anyone ever tried to PC into Gettington from here?  

Thanks! 

Rebuilding is like smoking a brisket: it takes a lot of love, the right spice, and a ton of patience. You don't rush a brisket-- it goes low & slow. Sometimes, you need a crutch through the stall. In the end, the process matters.
2021 goals: 
1) GARDEN until I app for Mortgage.
2) Pay Down overall revolving debt aggressively and accountably, to under 30%, including my HELOC.  
3) Don't waste the gifted 0% time on the student loans. 
4) Ultimately, refi the house at non-usury terms. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Fingerhut Temp CLI Tricks & tools?

Dont think of pcing to Gettington, it cant be done, basically same as Fingerhut, same bank. 

If you have the spend the x amount by a certain amount by a certain time period, your cl will be extended whatever you spend. If you only spend $50, it will grow by $50, if you spend $100, it will increase $100 but you wont get whole offer. If you dont take up the offer, your temporary limit that may have been reported to cba will be revoked and they will restore your previous limit. Like Homie, Fingerhut dont play dat ...with their offers. 

Message 2 of 4
outofcredit
Established Contributor

@Pit-Smoker wrote:

Hey all!   I just hit my 1 year anniversary with Fingerhut. This is only commerorative in that it is also the anniversary of when I decided to be deliberate about my rebuild (thus starting with Fingerhut...  right?).  However, FH decided to send me one of their fabled "Temporary CLI"s to celebrate my birthday.  I was really hoping my underlying line would be higher before they started this, but here we are.  

So, current CLI was (is) 1450; now offered at 1850 (+400) to purchase (whatever) by May 31. Yes, I spend a pittance there once every 3-4 months or so to keep it active; yes, my balance is currently $0.00, and yes I would love to oust them from my report, but the extra limit is helping me at this time, and thus, so would "a little more credit."   I'm at about 37% total util and counting (downward) as quickly as possible. 

here are my questions, for anyone who can answer: 

1) If I spend $50, and get $50... and then pay it down, then spend another $50 before the deadline, anyone know if they'll offer only that $50 or $100 in perm CLI?   

2) Will it SHOW as 1850 on my CRs over the next couple of months, thus looking like a CLD in May when I don't take them up on their (ahem) "generous offer"?  

3) Anyone ever tried to PC into Gettington from here?  

Thanks! 

I get these "temporary cli's" all the time. Every three months at least. They range from $300 to $800.  I have only, maybe twice, actually purchased something during the "offer periods."  Both times it was a 10 pack of socks for about $12 and only on a day when free shipping was offered.  Each time, they raised my permanent limit by $50 even though I only spent $12.  I've never made purchases multiple times during the same "offer period" so I have no idea if each purchase would trigger an additional $50 permanent increase.  I never carry a balance on Fingerhut.  When evaluating my overall utilization I never factor in their "temporary increases" so it never hurts my score when they reduce the limit back down after the "offer period."  I basically ignore their offers unless I need new socks.

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, I've learned to dance in the rain.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The temporary CLI does report. Buy nothing and it reports a drop. From my understanding, you only have to buy something/anything for any amount to keep the CLI. I don't believe the CLI is the amount you purchased any more.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.