Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Chase Credit Card-Short Credit History? - Update Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Chase Credit Card-Short Credit History? - Update Approved

I ended up going into a branch. Instant approval, $19k limit. Feel a little bad, probably should have used her refer a friend link. Oh well, next time

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Chase Credit Card-Short Credit History?

I would really like the Chase Saphire Preffered, as a lot of my expenses come from dining and travel, and they have the nice sign-up bonus, as well as no foreign transaction fees (going abroad this summer, and while my AMEX FlexPerks Gold has no foreign transaction fees, I know AMEX will not be accepted many places when I'm abroad.)

On Chase's website when I sign in, it shows I'm pre-qualified for the Chase Saphire Preffered. Theres also the prequalified form (not from signing in) that shows I'm prequalified for Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Saphire Preffered.

So - I would like to get a Chase Credit card. I see a few options:

Apply for Saphire Preffered now

Wait a couple months, apply for Saphire Preffered 

Apply for Freedom now, preffered in 2.5 months before I leave

Apply for Southwest Rapid Rewards now, Saphire preffered in 2.5 months before I leave.

I assume going into a Chase Branch and applying there is better than applying online?

Few details about me:

-First Credit Card US Bank Cash+ Signature Card, $5K CL, Opened 18 months ago.

-Second Credit Card US bank AMEX FlexPerks Gold, $23K CL, Opened 7 months ago.

-$2000 line of credit with US Bank as overdraft protection

-Been an Authorized User on my Father's Chase MileagePlus Explorer Since 2013

-0 Missed Payments, Always Paid in Full Each Month (I actually Pay the cards off every few weeks, generally spend $2-3K a Month on them)

-1% Revolving Utilization (in part because I pay them off before the monthly statement comes through)

-Discover Scorecard Shows FICO Score of 751

-2 Hard Pulls in the Last 12 Months

-$91K Annual income

I applied for my very first credit Card,  Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus, in July 2017. Denied, because of limited/no credit history. I then applied in-branch at US Bank (I banked with them since 2015) and was approved August 2017 for US Bank Visa Cash+.

Applied in July 2018 for Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus, denied for short credit history again. Went into a US Bank Branch and was approved for the AMEX FlexPerks Gold with high $23K CL (didn't even ask for one that high haha).

In December I opened a Savings Account with $15K deposit with Chase, and a Checkings Account with $2.5K. Have since depositied $5.5K into the checkings. So currently banking $23.5K with Chase.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First Chase Credit Card-Short Credit History?

Hi OP and welcome to the myFICO forums.

Based on the DPs and other background you've provided, it appears like you'd be fine for the CSP.  You can either apply online via the pre-qualified portal or visit a branch if you prefer that method - either will have the same outcome if you're already pre-qualified.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Chase Credit Card-Short Credit History?

My sister in-law has the chase saphire preferred card. If I apply through her refer a friend link, do you think I will be less likely to be approved than if I apply in branch or through my pre-qualified page on chase’s Website?
Message 3 of 10
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: First Chase Credit Card-Short Credit History? - Update Approved

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 5 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on your approval

Message 6 of 10
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

Congrats on the approval and the sweet SL!!!

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 7 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your approval 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your approval!! Great Job!!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval and monster SL !!!!

Welcome to Chase family !!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.