cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garden for awhile or apply for one more?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Garden for awhile or apply for one more?

Hi all,

So I'm new here and have a pretty thing profile as far as credit. I have 5 cards total, two Wells Fargo cards, one Amex, one Capital one mastercard, and Discover IT. My FICO is 690 and I went to apply for one more- Chase Sapphire and did not get approved! ugh. But they said it was because I have opened up credit cards and auto loan just recently, which is true. I got a 15,000 car loan from GMC and opened up the amex, Discover, and one of the Wells Fargo cards within just six months.

My question is should I slow down and garden for awhile or try Bank of America for my 5th card, even though I really want the Chase card!

Any advice from seasoned folks would be great. (Or just anyone maybe in a similar boat). Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Garden for awhile or apply for one more?

I am new too. I don't have any advice for you. I just wanted to say I was doing so well, and still am, but I applied for a Quicksilver One card and was approved and kind of regret it. I was supposed to be gardening until November. Everything was going up, up, up. I applied am glad I was approved since my Experian scoree took a 17 point hit, but I didn't need this card. My utilization is low and this card has an annual fee. Just my experience. Good luck with your choice!

Message 2 of 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Chase has a 5/24 rule. They won't approve you if you've been approved for 5 cards in a 24 month period. In addition to that, they dont like thin profiles and require a year of history on the majority of your cards. If you really want the chase, don't get another card, garden until you can get it. The soonest would be once your oldest card is 25 months old

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, if you have to ask, the answer is almost always "garden", you've done plenty of apping plus the car loan, time to age them and let your score recover. Also, the reason you were denied by Chase is because you broke their 5/25 rule, 5 new accounts in last 24 month.

@Anonymous wrote:

I am new too. I don't have any advice for you. I just wanted to say I was doing so well, and still am, but I applied for a Quicksilver One card and was approved and kind of regret it. I was supposed to be gardening until November. Everything was going up, up, up. I applied am glad I was approved since my Experian scoree took a 17 point hit, but I didn't need this card. My utilization is low and this card has an annual fee. Just my experience. Good luck with your choice!

Have you not read all the threads with people trying to get out of QS1? Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think you should garden! You got a good group of cards to tide you over, let that Chase card be your reward after you’ve finished gardening.

Message 5 of 18
fuzzle
Regular Contributor

BofA doesn't like a lot of recent accounts either

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My rule of thumb is to stop apping and garden after the first denial I get. Helps to prevent a bunch of wasted HPs.

Bank of America doesn’t like thin files, and they especially don’t like a ton of recently-opened accounts (They’ve denied me for both reasons in the past).

How old is your oldest card? If it is under two years, to get the Sapphire you will need to garden for 2 years minus the age of the oldest account to be under 5/24.
Message 7 of 18
CerebralZulu
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My rule of thumb is to stop apping and garden after the first denial I get. Helps to prevent a bunch of wasted HPs.

Bank of America doesn’t like thin files, and they especially don’t like a ton of recently-opened accounts (They’ve denied me for both reasons in the past).

How old is your oldest card? If it is under two years, to get the Sapphire you will need to garden for 2 years minus the age of the oldest account to be under 5/24.

OK, I guess I am getting myself confused on here. If you garden for two years, wouldn't you automatically be under 5/24? I was under the impression that 5/24 meant 5 accounts in 24 months. So if you garden for two years you would be at 0/24 wouldn't you? What part of that equation am I missing? 

Message 8 of 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@CerebralZulu wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OK, I guess I am getting myself confused on here. If you garden for two years, wouldn't you automatically be under 5/24? I was under the impression that 5/24 meant 5 accounts in 24 months. So if you garden for two years you would be at 0/24 wouldn't you? What part of that equation am I missing? 

The open date for the first card isn't mentioned so he's starting the 2 year countdown now, minus the start date of the first card. If the op got their first card 6 months ago 24-6=18 months to wait, 12 months ago 24-12=12 months to wait, etc.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CerebralZulu Yes, you would be at 0/24 if you gardened for 2 years. But if you have 5 cards under 2 years, and you wait for the oldest one to hit two years, you are at 4/24, which opens you up a slot to add one chase card, if you don’t want to wait two whole years.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.