Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting an AmEX after chargeoff

tag
7774x
Established Contributor

Re: Getting an AmEX after chargeoff

@BenConrad wrote:

In 1991 (yes, 32 years ago) I walked away from an Optima card owing $23K and a Gold card owing $13K--if I remember correctly.

They charged it all off....  I called many times saying that I had gone back to college and asked for a deferral and was refused--(my other cards MC etc. granted me deferrals and long payment plans and all got paid.)

15 years ago I managed to get to the top as far as talking to someone at AMEX to reopen cards--I was told that to get off the "blacklist" I would have to pay in full--and if I did, they would report the payment on the CRA's and they could since that would constitute the latest activity which could essentially make the AMEX accounts that were long gone reapear as paid after collection on the CRA's which would lower my score and prohbit me from getting AMEX cards until they dropped off--I was in a 'no-win' situation he explained and said it was really a "catch22." 

8 years ago I applied for and received an Amex green card with a $2K limit that was closed within 60 days--based on "a previously closed account" that was missed during the application process.

5 years ago a friend with a black Amex attempted to add me as an AU and a letter was received by the both of us saying that due to the 1991 CO's I was not elligible for a BLK Card as even an AU but I could have an AU Platinum card--which I accepted and have maintained for the past 5 years.

Last week I applied for my own Amex Platinum card and was pre-approved for an Amex Platinum.  Upon applying I was denied with no hard pulls saying "because Amex cancelled previous accounts"

I called today and spoke with a supervisor confirmed that I was on a blacklist and no cards could be issued and advised me to not apply again saying that due to the length of time since the CO I would have no way of ever getting off the blacklist.  I requested a call back from a 'higher-up" and await that call.  I will keep you informed of the final result!

To recap: 31 years after Amex CO I am still blacklisted but have a AU Platinum card

Wow..I have checked once awhile on Amex  Prequal   .. many times same line ... denied for previous cancelled accounts . now says  nothing available .. but check back again ...been on the blackball for decades .. already moved on from Amex., but  can't say never again... Holding Chase UA  &  British Airway Cards 

Message 31 of 34
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@7774x wrote:

Wow..I have checked once awhile on Amex  Prequal   .. many times same line ... denied for previous cancelled accounts . now says  nothing available .. but check back again ...been on the blackball for decades .. already moved on from Amex., but  can't say never again... Holding Chase UA  &  British Airway Cards 

I'm still in the "Denied for previous cancelled accounts" zone, if/when AMEX ever lets me back in I will probably apply for a Delta SkyMiles card; noting else in the AMEX lineup has any appeal for me.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 32 of 34
practical1
Regular Contributor

@Horseshoez 

The Delta SkyMiles Business AMEX was my most recent acquisition as well -- I fell for the 747 promotion, at the last possible moment, before the offer expired.  Exceptionally clever marketing, offering a unique card design, (supposedly) fabricated from metal from an retired aircraft and including a cargo-container's worth of Delta miles, Centurion lounge access while travelling on Delta, etc.... I was considering a post-COVID trip to Europe and this product just fit nicely, at the time. 

Here's the ultimate ending to this saga (and should represent a bit of encouragement):  I received an instant online  approval AND a $30,000 starting credit line -- nearly fell of my chair.  After all the hours of ineffectual grovelling I did over 30 years to try to score another chance with AMEX, this was the highest starting line I was granted since 1986!

Have hope, my friend!  Good things (sometimes) happen to those who wait....

Message 33 of 34
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@practical1, congratulations on the Delta card!

Regarding a card for me, my need/want/desire for a Delta card (my go-to airline since the 1990s) has just taken an interesting turn; my company just cut a deal with United to pre-buy blocks of tickets which we can just pull from on an as needed basis.  If we fly on another airline it will only be because United doesn't service any given route.  Long story short, I'll be shopping for a Chase/United Club card in the near future.  Smiley Happy 

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.