Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting back in with Chase after CO

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Getting back in with Chase after CO

So, I posted a while back in rebuilding that I had some family issues and ran into quite a bit of debt and maxed out all my CCs. They all got CO'd and five went to collections. So I've already paid off/settled 6 of 11 accounts, so about halfway there. My question is, will chase let me back in? I don't plan on apping anytime soon, as the CO is only 1 year 4 months old (they all are). Chase was burned for about $12k across three accounts. I've already settled two for 30% each, and am working on the last one ($5.5k balance, have $5k left, but was thinking of settling it just to get it updated to zero balance and let it age).

I tried doing some searches on here but couldn't really find anything close to my situation. I'm assuming paid CO, even if settled for less, is better than unpaid CO. But will Chase still blacklist me? I also had a checking account closed with a negative balance, but I will be paying that back next month (it wasn't much, only about $296).

Thanks all!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

Re: Getting back in with Chase after CO

Chase can be like an Elephant. It might be years before you get in with them again.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 2 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Right, the elephant mindset is what will determine whether the incurred losses (even if settled) may warrant a new CC lending relationship.

Since internal UW policies tend to shift often, the best thing to do is let time heal the wounds. You may try in a few years once the last Chase account is settled and your overall profile has improved considerably from any present negative items.
Message 3 of 5
Medic981
Valued Contributor

I had a WaMu account go to CO in 2008 and Chase acquired WaMu afterward. The CO was for $1100 and I never attempted to pay it off. I just recently obtained a Chase CC. I was concerned that Chase would never allow me a CC with my past WaMu history. Last August I obtained a Subaru lease with Chase financing it and two weeks ago I obtained a Chase Sapphire Preferred CC by pre-qualified online and pre-approved in branch.  

Time heals all wounds. So, yes, I believe Chase might allow you a CC account with enough passage of time. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 4 of 5
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Use the Chase Journey prooduct and keep checking for pre approvals and pre qualifieds.  You can open a checking and keep checking the Just For You tab.  Dont even think about a Chase card if you are 5+/24 considering your history.  Its gonna be quite awhile Im afraid. Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.