Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting error message with citi's pre-screen check

tag
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Getting error message with citi's pre-screen check

I think I am ready to go for another card.  Smiley Happy  I am looking at the Rewards+ to compliment my citi DC and CC.  I could just app but, because citi offers this pre-screen option, I'd like to use it first.  Every time I enter my info and submit, I get the below error message.  It's been a few weeks.  Are others getting this message?  Has anyone used the pre-screen check successfully in the past?  If I call that 888 number, can they do a pre-check over the phone?  Thank you.      

https://online.citi.com/US/ag/cards/pre-screen  

Capture.JPG

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting error message with citi's pre-screen check

@ptatohed wrote:

I think I am ready to go for another card.  Smiley Happy  I am looking at the Rewards+ to compliment my citi DC and CC.  I could just app but, because citi offers this pre-screen option, I'd like to use it first.  Every time I enter my info and submit I get the below error message.  It's been a few weeks.  Are others getting this message?  Has anyone used the pre-screen check successfully in the past?  If I call that 888 number, can they do a pre-check over the phone?  Thank you.      

No errors found from my end. Just tested it and the results spit out -- Simplicity 😂💀

Granted, not a card I need or want, but it seems Citi already knows I already have all of their flavors, except Simplicity and the AT&T CCs.  #firstworldproblems

Other than some obvious troubleshooting, have you tried replicating on another browser? Are you using VPN? Did you try it on a different device? Cleared your cache and cookies? As far as the 888 number, why don't you call it? Not sure if the number is to report the issue or whether they can do any pre-screening offers over the phone 🤷‍♂️  

Message 2 of 26
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

I think I am ready to go for another card.  Smiley Happy  I am looking at the Rewards+ to compliment my citi DC and CC.  I could just app but, because citi offers this pre-screen option, I'd like to use it first.  Every time I enter my info and submit I get the below error message.  It's been a few weeks.  Are others getting this message?  Has anyone used the pre-screen check successfully in the past?  If I call that 888 number, can they do a pre-check over the phone?  Thank you.      

No errors found from my end. Just tested it and the results spit out -- Simplicity 😂💀

Granted, not a card I need or want, but it seems Citi already knows I already have all of their flavors, except Simplicity and the AT&T CCs.  #firstworldproblems

Other than some obvious troubleshooting, have you tried replicating on another browser? Are you using VPN? Did you try it on a different device? Cleared your cache and cookies? As far as the 888 number, why don't you call it? Not sure if the number is to report the issue or whether they can do any pre-screening offers over the phone 🤷‍♂️  

Thank you Fin.  Tried different computers but, now that you mentioned it, both were Chrome, so thanks, I will try another browser.  I would have no idea if I am using a VPN or not, lol.  I will try the 888 # if I can't get it and report back.  Smiley Happy  

No hope:
Message 3 of 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ptatohed wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Thank you Fin.  Tried different computers but, now that you mentioned it, both were Chrome, so thanks, I will try another browser.  I would have no idea if I am using a VPN or not, lol.  I will try the 888 # if I can't get it and report back.  Smiley Happy  

No worries.

Just for context, I tested this on two separate devices and browsers -- Safari (fruitPad) as well as Chrome (Android) mobile device. I bet if you try it on a different device and/or different browser, it may yield something. You may want to check your browser's privacy settings as well.

Message 4 of 26
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Arrrgghhh.  I tried MS Edge, and dogpile, with the same error screen.  Maybe there are no citi cards for me?  lol  Smiley Frustrated

No hope:
Message 5 of 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ptatohed wrote:

Arrrgghhh.  I tried MS Edge, and dogpile with the same error screen.  Maybe there are no citi cards for me?  lol  Smiley Frustrated

That's interesting. Sorry your browsers are having issues with the tool 🫠

Now, to be fair, the tool is simply a pre-selection front. No guarantees on results since it's not like the AmEx or Chase pre-qualification portal, for example.

That said, while it can (psychologically) help to gauge the odds, I always went YOLO (following the @simplynoir mantra 😎) with most, if not, all of my Citi apps. There for a while the online tool wasn't working for anyone so there was no other way to check, besides waiting for any pre-selected snail mail offers which were no different than doing it online.

My advice, when you feel you're ready go for it.

Message 6 of 26
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Arrrgghhh.  I tried MS Edge, and dogpile with the same error screen.  Maybe there are no citi cards for me?  lol  Smiley Frustrated

That's interesting. Sorry your browsers are having issues with the tool 🫠

Now, to be fair, the tool is simply a pre-selection front. No guarantees on results since it's not like the AmEx or Chase pre-qualification portal, for example.

That said, while it can (psychologically) help to gauge the odds, I always went YOLO (following the @simplynoir mantra 😎) with most, if not, all of my Citi apps. There for a while the online tool wasn't working for anyone so there was no other way to check, besides waiting for any pre-selected snail mail offers which were no different than doing it online.

My advice, when you feel you're ready go for it.

@FinStar, YOLO is sometimes the only way to go if you want to app lol. When you get to a credit profile strong enough to not worry about scores is pretty much the way to go. Sometimes the bank's rules get in the way of that (read: Chase) but it's worked out well so far. In fact just yesterday was talking with a few friends about applying for the Citi Premier bc the bonus is going back to normal. I knew I was probably going to getan auto-denail because of the HPs I've taken to get Chase business cards but I was willing to roll the dice before changing my mind. Now it's a waiting game again. Sigh...

Message 7 of 26
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@ptatohed  so, did you yolo or not? 

I got that same error yesterday, that talked me out of applying for about an hour.

Then prequal worked, and I got Simplicity and the dark, ugly card. I talked myself out, I cannot even remember why, something about not being in a mood for yet another new useless account 

Message 8 of 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

I got that same error yesterday, that talked me out of applying for about an hour.

Then prequal worked, and I got Simplicity and the dark, ugly card. I talked myself out, I cannot even remember why, something about not being in a mood for yet another new useless account 

Which dark, ugly card? Diamond Preferred or Rewards+ @Remedios? 😶

Message 9 of 26
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Which dark, ugly card? Diamond Preferred or Rewards+ @Remedios? 😶

I think it's Diamond, it wasn't Rewards+ 

Basically, Citi thinks I need BT 😐

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.