Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goal : AmEx Hilton Aspire

tag
HarleyGirlInDallas
Valued Member

Goal : AmEx Hilton Aspire

Currently, I have an AmEx Hilton Honors card; however, due to my travel schedule, I would appreciate having an AmEx Hilton Honors Aspire.

For those of you that also have/had Aspire on your wish list, I'd appreciate being a Young Skywalker to your Yoda knowledge!  Some of my questions are:

• Is there a credit score threshold you need to be above? 
  • If you applied and were denied, how long until you can apply again?
  • Any best practices / suggestions are much appreciated!

Hilton-Honors-Amex-Cards-Aspire-700x382.png

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Goal : AmEx Hilton Aspire

Score threshold is going to be the same as most other Amex cards, a score above 670, but preferrably 700+. As far as reapplying after a denial, Amex suggests 30 days after you received a denial letter. Then there is their 2/90 rule (only will approve 2 Amex cards in a 90 day period).

But, since you have the Hilton Honors, you could contact them by phone and ask about uprading to the Aspire.

Message 2 of 12
HarleyGirlInDallas
Valued Member

But, since you have the Hilton Honors, you could contact them by phone and ask about uprading to the Aspire.

Done! I called up AmEx and asked if I would be able to upgrade my card to Aspire and the lady immediately said, "Sure -- I just need to read some disclaimers to you..."   She said my new card would be here within 3-5 days!  Thank you @JoeRockhead!

Message 3 of 12
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

@HarleyGirlInDallas , that's awesome, congratulations!!

Message 4 of 12
HarleyGirlInDallas
Valued Member

AmEx Hilton Honors --> Aspire --> CLI suggestions?

Yesterday, I asked for best practices for upgrading from the basic American Express Hilton Honors to their Aspire card. I travel a lot and prefer the Hilton chains whenever possible and would like to have Diamond status locked and loaded.

A big THANK YOU to @JoeRockhead for suggesting that I simply call AmEx and ask them to upgrade my card....and AmEx did just that!  My app and online are already showing I'm at the Aspire level and I am delighted!

Next step: Increasing the credit limit. I've had the basic AEHH for 2 years and never requested a CLI.  Thanks to these forums, I have been using the card more intelligently the past 3 months -- use it frequently but keep it paid off throughout the month -- so I'm curious if I should request a 3x increase or something different?

Y'all are the best -- thank you so much for the great education and feedback so far!

Message 5 of 12
bigseegar
Established Contributor

Re: AmEx Hilton Honors --> Aspire --> CLI suggestions?

Ideally you should have done the CLI request online before you did the product change. You can still try though and since you've never had a CLI on the old card it may work. But being a "new" card now you may have to wait the 61 days as you would in a truly new card before you can be approved for a CLI. You really won't know until you try. You didn't state what your current CL is, but as long as a 3X CLI keeps it under $35K then by all means that's what I'd request. Some DP's show that after $35K you're more likey that AmEx may ask for IRS tax returns.

Message 6 of 12
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

@bigseegar wrote:

Ideally you should have done the CLI request online before you did the product change. You can still try though and since you've never had a CLI on the old card it may work. But being a "new" card now you may have to wait the 61 days as you would in a truly new card before you can be approved for a CLI. You really won't know until you try. You didn't state what your current CL is, but as long as a 3X CLI keeps it under $35K then by all means that's what I'd request. Some DP's show that after $35K you're more likey that AmEx may ask for IRS tax returns.

My apologies for not suggesting to ask for a CLI when you called about the upgrade, it just truly never crossed my mind at the time, As @bigseegar said you won't really know until you try, all they can tell you is no, and you'd have to wait. 

Message 7 of 12
HarleyGirlInDallas
Valued Member

My apologies for not suggesting to ask for a CLI when you called about the upgrade, it just truly never crossed my mind at the time, As @bigseegar said you won't really know until you try, all they can tell you is no, and you'd have to wait. 

It's all good -- everything happens the way it should.  I phone AmEx this morning and I need to wait 90 days to make the request so I bumped it up to 95 days on my calendar.  As much as I want a CLI, the main thing for me was to lock in Diamond status at Hilton which Aspire does. There are some features at that level that are valuable to me when I'm on the road; the CLI will come in due time.  

Message 8 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@HarleyGirlInDallas wrote:

Currently, I have an AmEx Hilton Honors card; however, due to my travel schedule, I would appreciate having an AmEx Hilton Honors Aspire.

For those of you that also have/had Aspire on your wish list, I'd appreciate being a Young Skywalker to your Yoda knowledge!  Some of my questions are:

• Is there a credit score threshold you need to be above? 
  • If you applied and were denied, how long until you can apply again?
  • Any best practices / suggestions are much appreciated!

Hilton-Honors-Amex-Cards-Aspire-700x382.png

It's probably easy for you to upgrade to it, but the trick is to do it when you can get an upgrade bonus. These can be serious. I upgraded from that card to Surpass, and then from Surpass to Aspire, and I believe I got a bonus of 150k points each time (worth $600 to $750 each to me).

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@HarleyGirlInDallas wrote:

Done! I called up AmEx and asked if I would be able to upgrade my card to Aspire and the lady immediately said, "Sure -- I just need to read some disclaimers to you..."   She said my new card would be here within 3-5 days!  Thank you @JoeRockhead!

Congratulations on the upgrade.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.