cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from AU to Cardholder & forgiveness after BK7?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Going from AU to Cardholder & forgiveness after BK7?

Mom added me as an Authorized user on her Macys AMEX card. How long will it be before i can apply for that card on my own?

I included Synchrony, BoA, and the Best Buy Store Card (Citi?) in a BK7 in June of 2016.
How long before i can get back in with any of them? I would rather not waste HPs if a decline is likely.
7 REPLIES 7
rbentley
Established Contributor

Re: 2 Questions

I don't want to be unhelpful or snarky, but just want to point out that your Subject Heading probably doesn't not invite the maximum views or resposnses.  Breaking up multiple question and giving a very specific subject heading will give you the maximum respones and advice.  Many here will just scroll past a post that does not have a specific subject heading.

Just some unsolicitied advice.  You have come to the right place for your questions.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2 Questions

Thank you. Sorry for the vagueness.
Message 3 of 8
drboxing
Established Contributor

Re: Going from AU to Cardholder & forgiveness after BK7?

Been there, done that. I filed BK-13 2006 included Amex, BOA, Chase, Discover just to name a few. Amex wouldn’t allow me as an AU, it took almost 10 years to get Amex back. BOA/Discover about 7 years. Hope this helps

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the insight. What about the best buy store card? I believe it is through citi. Ive geard they arent so forgiving. But im hoping they can be since it is a store card. Any thoughts?
Message 5 of 8
drboxing
Established Contributor

None are really forgiving, I started seeing new accounts approximately 4-5 years after I filed, it wasn’t easy but I got through it.

Message 6 of 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

It's very important to understand that the Macy's American Express card has absolutely nothing to do with the American Express we talk about on here, which are cuards issued by American Express Centurion Bank.   AMEX is just the processor for that Macy's card -- it could just as easily have been a Visa or Mastercard.   So don't conflate co-branded AMEX cards with "real" AMEX cards.

You shoud be able to get back into Macy's after 2 to 3 years of reestablishing credit, even if you burned them.

Synchrony is generally very easy to get back into, even if you burned them, about a one year post discharge and upon reestablished credit.  So you can apply for a Wal-Mart card or a Lowes card or a CareCredit card.  They may give you a crappy $400 limit, but using calls to the backdoor every three months you can easily get these up into the 15K to 35K range within a year or two with soft pull CLI's by calling the backdoor number to Credit Solutions.

BofA is relatively easy to get into if you start with one of their secured cards and then it graduates.   I have the original secured $1000 card, which graduated and got a CLI to $5K.   Then I said I wanted the Alaska Airlines card so they approved it when I offered to give up the useless 5K card they have given me.   BofA is definitely doable.    If your BK is now two years old and you have established 3 to 5 new revolving cards on your own, either through secured cards, crap cards like Credit One/First Premier, or even a couple of shopping cart trick cars, you should be good to go to make the next step to higher quality and more useful Synch cards and Macy's.   I don't know Best Buy's policy abot letting you back in (Citi can be jerks sometimes) but I know it can be done.   Even when Citi won't give you one of their Visa cards, they will approve you for co-branded store cards.

You are in good shape.   Just make a plan and stick to it.

Message 7 of 8
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Seem like Citibank is a 5 year wait. I'm not sure about Amex but from what I can tell from the forum it's a 7 year wait but you won't get a CLI until the bankruptcy is off your reports. Discover seems to be a 2-2 1/2 year wait if you burned them...if you didn't you should be able to get approved now.

Keep trying the pre-qualifer links.
Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.