Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good credit, no credit card. Need recommendations

tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Good credit, no credit card. Need recommendations

Good luck in your credit hunt

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 11 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm surprised Capital One isn't blowing up your mailbox given that you have an existing relationship with them. 

I would pick a flat 1.5 or 2% card with a company you like and run with that if you're just wanting one card. 

Capital One QuickSilver, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Discover It Miles, Wells Fargo Cash Wise, AMEX Cash Magnet are some 1.5% choices. 

Citi DC and PayPal Cashback seem to be the most popular 2% choices. 

I personally like my QuickSilver. There's no foreign transaction fees to worry about, customer service has never been an issue, cash back has no minimum to redeem, they have a great app, and they have handled my merchant disputes very well. That said, they tend to be stingy for most people with credit limit increases - I haven't personally had an issue with that though. 

I have the PayPal Cashback and I dislike that there's no app or transaction notifications but I haven't had any problems with it otherwise and they don't charge foreign transaction fees either. Synchrony Bank, the lender behind the PayPal Cashback, is one of the more generous companies, with many of us having ridiculous amounts of credit with them. 

Message 12 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't even think to check with my primary bank, Citizens Bank. I checked their website and saw they have a couple decent offerings. Later I found a pre-qual letter they sent me the same day I started this thread! I stopped by a branch today to deposit a check, and applied for the Cash Back Plus World Mastercard while I was there, and got approved instantly. Just need to wait to get everything in the mail to find out my limit and get my card. Hopefully my limit is pretty good.

Right now I'm trying to find out if it requires a separate app to manage the CC or if I would use the same app as my checking accounts. It is a separate website, it appears.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Message 13 of 36
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 14 of 36
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't even think to check with my primary bank, Citizens Bank. I checked their website and saw they have a couple decent offerings. Later I found a pre-qual letter they sent me the same day I started this thread! I stopped by a branch today to deposit a check, and applied for the Cash Back Plus World Mastercard while I was there, and got approved instantly. Just need to wait to get everything in the mail to find out my limit and get my card. Hopefully my limit is pretty good.

Right now I'm trying to find out if it requires a separate app to manage the CC or if I would use the same app as my checking accounts. It is a separate website, it appears.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

WooHoo. A huge congratulations to you. And, this is why I love the myFICO forum. There's always great information to be shared. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 15 of 36
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations! It's a good card and my customer service experience (mostly in-branch) has been excellent!

You can't use the Citizens app to manage the credit card, unfortunately. You have to use a separate website, which is located here: https://www.accessmycardonline.com/?product=CITIZENSBRAND

I've had the card since last March, but haven't used it much as I've since been approved for category cards and flat 2% back cards. I have a few small charges auto-billing each month just to keep it active.

Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a notification that I was approved for a CL of $7400, which is about twice more than what I was even hoping for. Haven't received the card in the mail yet. I'll be curious to how this all impacts my scores. I got alerts about a credit inquiry from Experian and the services that use TU's VantageScore, but it's not showing up in Experian yet. And I'm not spending $40 right now to get a full report from EQ& TU. The Experian app had been estimating my score would go to 795 once I got a CC, but idk how accurate that prediction is. Probably optimistic since they seem to get some commision on credit card applications.

A decade ago my credit score was 540 and I had planned to never use credit again. I'm still skeptical about the wisdom of the level of financing that occurs in our economy, but it's a real relief to at least personally have it as an option now.

Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats on the approval and cli

glad to hear your credit is going up 

Message 18 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

My EX score went up to 782 today up from 750.

Hope all this info is helpful to someone in a similar situation.
Message 19 of 36
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your success! That open revolver definitely helped since you didn't have any. Look into adding 2 more so you'll have at least 3 total, slow and steady.

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.