Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good news, bad news

tag
jayjayhawaii
Regular Contributor

Good news, bad news

Today was a bit of a credit rollercoaster. I'm rebuilding, and my score has gone up from mid 400s to mid 600s in the span of a little less than two years. Today was a huge milestone - Discover graduated my $2,400 secured card!

With new courage and confidence, I applied for the Visa Apple Rewards from Barclay and was shot down instantly. Reconned and was shot down for low AAoA (oldest credit card is 15 months) and too many new recent accounts (8 in the past 15 months - mostly subprime from a year ago). Went into the garden until April when I got a pre approval for Quicksilver One and couldn't resist.

TU FICO score = 655 with 9 inquiries. Only baddie is a medical collection from 2012. Mostly upset about the wasted HP tbh.

In hindsight, after reading several posts here I should have stayed away from an inquiry sensitive issuer like Barclay.

Current FICO8:

2017: $200 secured card | 2023: $200,000+ total credit line
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Re: Good news, bad news

Look how far you’ve come with your rebuild! With your knowledge, and these forums, you can begin to get pickier and seek out cards that will really help out with your growth. 

How are your other scores? From my experience, once my scores reached upper 600s, a lot more things opened up to me. You’re just about there. Have you tried getting the medical disputes off? Your report?

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 2 of 7
jayjayhawaii
Regular Contributor

Thank you!

My EQ is in the 630s, but getting my EX up is still a slog at 595. There is a student loan account listed on my EX that I never signed (late tuition, not an actual loan or contract). They reported it 120+ late for 8 months between Aug '16 and Apr '17. Paid off a year ago, but still on there after a goodwill letter. Sent a dispute letter a week ago. The medical was paid off in full last month. Still shows open on my credit report, but I expect it to show paid very soon. I'll try goodwill with them as well. I've had a drastic positive change in annual income since I graduated university two years ago, so paying off past neglected stuff has been priority 1.

Annoying thing is my credit lines generally do not reflect my income, and aside from QS1, Cap One and Discover, all are $75 Annual fee/ 29.99% APR / $300 subprime cards that I keep for UTI purposes only. Feels GREAT to finally have an unsecured card with $2,400.

Current FICO8:

Message 3 of 7
jayjayhawaii
Regular Contributor

May I ask what your scores were when you applied for the Southwest card? I'm planning on gardening for up to a year and let my Capital One ($500) unsecure and increase SL on QS1 ($300). But I really want to get a few "600-level" cards like Apple Visa Rewards, Southwest and Gold Delta Skymiles before I set up camp in the garden.

Current FICO8:

Message 4 of 7
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@jayjayhawaii wrote:

May I ask what your scores were when you applied for the Southwest card? I'm planning on gardening for up to a year and let my Capital One ($500) unsecure and increase SL on QS1 ($300). But I really want to get a few "600-level" cards like Apple Visa Rewards, Southwest and Gold Delta Skymiles before I set up camp in the garden.

Chase pulled Ex which FICO was 652. I had just flew and went through a Rapid Rewards link. That was before I found these forum and I believe I was extremely lucky I got it. Probably because of the long term Rapid Rewards member.   

Message 5 of 7
jayjayhawaii
Regular Contributor

@SomewhereIn505 wrote:

@jayjayhawaii wrote:

Chase pulled Ex which FICO was 652. I had just flew and went through a Rapid Rewards link. That was before I found these forum and I believe I was extremely lucky I got it. Probably because of the long term Rapid Rewards member.   

Aah congrats! Guess I'll wait on anything EX until my EX score is at least 650.

Current FICO8:

Message 6 of 7
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@jayjayhawaii wrote:

@SomewhereIn505 wrote:

@jayjayhawaii wrote:

Aah congrats! Guess I'll wait on anything EX until my EX score is at least 650.

You should google creditboard datapoints to see whom pulls what report where you live at. Then look here to see what the creditor or like.

Some are inquiry sensitive, others have other issues. At least that I what I have learned to do, do some homework to help feel more confident I don’t have isssues that would jeopardize an approval.

I’m not too keen about being an unsuccessful HP collector. YMMV and I think I got super lucky with Chase. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.