cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - CITI Simplicity (Backdoor?) & Barclay's (CLI Recon?)

tag
HorseTears
New Contributor

HELP - CITI Simplicity (Backdoor?) & Barclay's (CLI Recon?)

Here's a familiar tale you all seem to have heard a dozen times.  I applied for a CITI Simplicity card based upon a NerdWallet recommendation.  

Me:

• FICO 718
  • Only 3 other credit cards
    • CapitalOne MC with $3k limit with a balance of $2k
    • Barclay's Priceline Rewards Visa with $2500 limit and balance of $1900
    • Macy's Card with $1,000 limit and $400 balance
  • $91k annual income
  • $1500/mo rent
  • No car, no car payment
  • No student loans

I got the following message after applying to the CITI Simplicity card:

• We are currently processing your application and will be in touch within 1 week. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you.

I perhaps did something dumb and got impatient waiting and decided to request a credit line increase from Barclay's, which I've had for about 7 months and have paid on time, every time.  My first time requesting a CLI.  I did so over the phone with a customer service rep.  I was denied.  And, now, I have a second hard pull on my credit in the same.  week.

So a couple of questions:

1. Knowing the context of my situation, on the CITI Simplicity Card application, do you think I'm better off just waiting the full week, or should I try calling in now? 
  2. If I should call in now, does anyone have an active (as of June, 2017) backdoor number to use for CITI Simplicity? 
  3. If, for whatever reason, I am also denied a new card by CITI (which, according to all the data points, I should be approved for), any recommendations on which cards to pursue next and how long I should wait for applying for a different card?  How badly will these hard pulls hurt me in the longrun? 

Edited to add one important note:

• I recently moved from San Diego to San Francisco.  My official chagne of address happened May 1.  Could this be a reason for the hold period on my CITI Simplicity application and possilbly even a reason for denial of my CLI request with Barclay's/Priceline Visa?  
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP - CITI Simplicity (Backdoor?) & Barclay's (CLI Recon?)

@HorseTears wrote:

Here's a familiar tale you all seem to have heard a dozen times.  I applied for a CITI Simplicity card based upon a NerdWallet recommendation.  

Me:

• FICO 718
  • Only 3 other credit cards 
    • CapitalOne MC with $3k limit with a balance of $2k
    • Barclay's Priceline Rewards Visa with $2500 limit and balance of $1900
    • Macy's Card with $1,000 limit and $400 balance
  • $91k annual income Why so much credit card debt with this income and no loans?
  • $1500/mo rent Roommates/girlfriend/boyfriend? $1,500 for SF seems cheap.Just being nosey Smiley Happy
  • No car, no car payment 
  • No student loans

I got the following message after applying to the CITI Simplicity card:

• We are currently processing your application and will be in touch within 1 week. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you.

I perhaps did something dumb and got impatient waiting and decided to request a credit line increase from Barclay's, which I've had for about 7 months and have paid on time, every time.  My first time requesting a CLI.  I did so over the phone with a customer service rep.  I was denied.  And, now, I have a second hard pull on my credit in the same.  week.

So a couple of questions:

1. Knowing the context of my situation, on the CITI Simplicity Card application, do you think I'm better off just waiting the full week, or should I try calling in now?  I'd call now, they may only need you to verify address etc.
  2. If I should call in now, does anyone have an active (as of June, 2017) backdoor number to use for CITI Simplicity? Try 1-888-201-4523
  3. If, for whatever reason, I am also denied a new card by CITI (which, according to all the data points, I should be approved for), any recommendations on which cards to pursue next and how long I should wait for applying for a different card?  As you state below, you moved clear across California, they may just need you to submit proof of address. However, you are also at 66% of your credit lines. Your debt-to-credit ratio is pretty high which could be the issue-you won't know for sure unless you call in or wait for the letter. How badly will these hard pulls hurt me in the longrun? Longrun they tend to matter less after 6 months; however, in the short term too many recent inquiries can look like agressive credit seeking and can scare many lenders. Especially in CA where the fraud losses equal many countries' GDPs (I am exagerating, but seriously, you guys should be embarassed). 

Edited to add one important note:

• I recently moved from San Diego to San Francisco.  My official chagne of address happened May 1.  Could this be a reason for the hold period on my CITI Simplicity application could be and possilbly even a reason for denial of my CLI request with Barclay's/Priceline Visa? Doubtful. I think your 66% debt to credit ratio could be the reason for this.  

Why on earth do you want a Moderator Edit - let's not try to be creative in getting around the profanity filter.  Irish80 Simplicity card? For the balance transfer? Both BofA and Chase offer slightly shorter repayment terms but offer fee-free balance transfers and both cards can eventually be upgraded to something better.  SImplicity cannot be PCed (at least as of now). 

Message 2 of 3
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: HELP - CITI Simplicity (Backdoor?) & Barclay's (CLI Recon?)

OP
I hope your recon is successful, but whether it works or not, it's VIP to NOT have balances on ALL your credit cards - a big NO NO! ALso as co_native states, your UT is too high. So, IMHO, with your high income and seemingly low DTI, you should easily be able to pay down 2 of those CCs to $0 and leave <9% on the 3rd card. Also, Macy's is known (I'm a prime example) for giving SP CLIs. However, do not request it online. Call and speak to a CSR and specifically say, "I only want to go through with a CLI request if it's a SP. I do not want to continue if it's a HP." Then, when asked how much you want, say $5K. They will counter if you requested too much. This will help with UT. Also, if your recon is declined, I wouldn't apply for anything else until only 1 CC is reporting and at <9% UT. GL to you.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.