cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC student card??

Highlighted

HSBC student card??

First time poster but long time lurker...  Has anyone ever heard of HSBC's student mastercard? It doesn't seem to be super popular. I know there are better cards out there, but I'm about to study abroad and would feel better if I could get another Visa or MC with no FTFs for emergencies.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: HSBC student card??

@astraea3 wrote:

First time poster but long time lurker...  Has anyone ever heard of HSBC's student mastercard? It doesn't seem to be super popular. I know there are better cards out there, but I'm about to study abroad and would feel better if I could get another Visa or MC with no FTFs for emergencies.

If you provide a few more data points, we would be able to provide you with additional recommendations

Cap One student card has no FTF and application process will be less of the pain in the rear. 

07/01/2020. It's scary how after not sleeping for 48 hrsl abstract paintings and Britney Spears lyrics start making sense
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@astraea3 wrote:

If you have less than a month before you head for abroad then I suggest to stay away from HSBC as they’ve been reported to be notoriously slow in their UW process that could take even more than a month from start to finish.

BK7 dc in 01/2011 with FICO8 in the 500s

HPs EX 5 EQ 3 TU 1
AAoA 5y2m
UTIL 1% - 3%

$200K+ Total Limits

New cc TLs 0/6 ; 1/12 & 3/24
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted

@Remedios I’m very new to credit. I have a CapOne secured ($400, 2 mos old, wasn’t really thinking about using abroad when I got it otherwise would’ve gone for a higher limit). My program told me Discover and AMEX aren’t accepted, unfortunately.
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted

@JR_TX Thanks for the warning! I leave in four weeks so will probably stay away
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The card is also super new, that's why not many people talk about it.
As far as I know, HSBC prefer people who have checking accounts with them, but that doesn't mean you won't get approved at all without an account with them
Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); Amex Green (NPSL); HH Surpass (36.6k); Amex BBP (27k); Macy's Store (25k); B&H Payboo (25k); PNC CR (17.5k); HSBC Premier WEMC (14.5k); Amazon Store (10k); PNC Premier Traveler (9.5k); HSBC Advance (7.5k); Rakuten Visa (5k); Nordstrom Store (4k); Discover It (3k); Citi AA Platinum (2.5k); Apple Card (2.5k); Delta Platinum (1.4k); Charles Schwab Investor (1k); Amex Everyday (1k); BofA CR (1k); Citi TYP (1k)
Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Inquiries: EX (27); TU (30); EQ (18)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.