Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hanscom Federal Credit Union is the pits

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Hanscom Federal Credit Union is the pits

@Anonymous wrote:

We do not base our credit decisions on an applicant’s FICO score, but rather analyze debts, income, payment history, number of recent inquiries and, in the case of secured loans, collateral. Credit scores are only used to determine the annual percentage rate that will apply to a loan or credit card. Mr. Sprague received your letter and personally investigated this reported incident. He is sending his response to you by mail today.

Respectfully,

Hanscom FCU Director of Communications

The bottom line is that Hanscom has a very negative attitude towards granting unsecured credit, and tries to push people into unwanted home equity lines.

Highly creditworthy applicants who are well thought of by other financial institutions are rejected by Hanscom for that very reason, since Hanscom's underwriters seem to be working on some formula that penalizes people for having good credit with other lenders.

Not a good way to grow.

A good way to shrink.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We do not base our credit decisions on an applicant’s FICO score, but rather analyze debts, income, payment history, number of recent inquiries and, in the case of secured loans, collateral. Credit scores are only used to determine the annual percentage rate that will apply to a loan or credit card. Mr. Sprague received your letter and personally investigated this reported incident. He is sending his response to you by mail today.

Respectfully,

The bottom line is that Hanscom has a very negative attitude towards granting unsecured credit, and tries to push people into unwanted home equity lines.

Highly creditworthy applicants who are well thought of by other financial institutions are rejected by Hanscom for that very reason, since Hanscom's underwriters seem to be working on some formula that penalizes people for having good credit with other lenders.

Not a good way to grow.

A good way to shrink.

Wow, I had not heard that.  Obviously I should have done more research on them before I jumped on the Hanscom train.  Hopefully these posts will at least help others to be informed about Hanscom and member experiences with them.

Message 22 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I finally got the letter.  It says the same thing the Director of Communications posted with the addition that he agrees with the analysis and conclusion.  Then he goes on to state that the branch manager is a respected and valued employee of the credit union and what I described in my letter does not "comport" with the observations and interactions he has had with her.  <Interesting considering he is in MA and she is in VA> nor with her supervisor.

No apology.  Obviously he doesn't believe me.  But he should have in my opinion at least said, he was sorry that I felt the way I did blah blah.  The only thing that came close was "disappointed that you were not satisfied".  He noted that he closed my membership.

The sad thing is she did do exactly what I put in my letter and in my post, actually I left some of the negative interaction out in the post.  I didn't embellish it at all but he is not interested in anything I have to say or my experience.    I think it's interesting that because her supervisor has not seen that before means she must never do things like that.....I don't know too many people that will act that way to a customer in front of their supervisor.  She knows she did it, I know she did it.  After this calms down, she will do it again.

All in all, it is what it is.  His choice to believe her hands down is ultimately his problem.  All I can say is everyone beware!  This is Hanscom FCU, the McLean Virginia MITRE branch, and this is how I was treated.   Contacting the CEO is a waste of time.

PenFed is awesome.  Smiley Happy

This is the type of behavior one sees in institutions that are on the way down. Instead of learning from customer feedback, they circle the wagons. And then wonder why they are losing out to their competitors.

Message 23 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Respectfully,

Not a good way to grow.

A good way to shrink.

Wow, I had not heard that.  Obviously I should have done more research on them before I jumped on the Hanscom train.  Hopefully these posts will at least help others to be informed about Hanscom and member experiences with them.

What's fascinating is that you're using PenFed instead. Contrast and compare PenFed's attitude toward customer service. They send you a survey after each transaction, and if there's a hint of dissatisfaction in your response, they call you up and try to make it right.

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Respectfully,

Not a good way to grow.

A good way to shrink.

What's fascinating is that you're using PenFed instead. Contrast and compare PenFed's attitude toward customer service. They send you a survey after each transaction, and if there's a hint of dissatisfaction in your response, they call you up and try to make it right.

Absolutely totally agree.  PenFed is really nice to talk too, very friendly, if they can help you, they will.  Big difference between the two.

Message 25 of 28
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

I hate FICO 2 score modeling.  My FICO 2 score is 55 points lower then my FICO 8 score.

Sorry OP

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 26 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Meanmchine wrote:

I hate FICO 2 score modeling.  My FICO 2 score is 55 points lower then my FICO 8 score.

Sorry OP

Me too, mine is 60 points lower.

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing the information in the letter you received with us. I think this is important for others to see in their decision on possibly using this credit union in the future.

I am glad PenFed was able to take care of you though! I am with three credit unions (NFCU, PenFed and Fairwinds) and all three have been top notch with customer service. Especially NFCU. I recently joined NFCU and have been impressed with them so I moved all of my monies over to them. They have local branches within 15 min from me so it works out well. Thanks again OP for sharing!!
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.