Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harris Teeter (Kroger) denial: outside of market area

tag
okurosetta
Regular Contributor

Harris Teeter (Kroger) denial: outside of market area

I recently applied for the Harris Teeter Rewards card, one of the varieties of the Kroger cards out there. I got the 7-10 day message but didn't see any alerts about a hard pull. I just got the letter in the mail today:

"We regret to inform you that we are not able to approve your application at this time because:

• Applicant's address outside of market area"

Has anyone else run into this before?

I live in NY, so there aren't any Krogers or Kroger-affiliated stores nearby. Harris Teeter is likely the closest, with stores in MD.

If this is a rule across all Kroger cards, I'll just cross it off my list - 5% mobile wallet would be great, but if I need to be within their footprint, well, it just is what it is. Gotta say, I do appreciate the lack of a hard pull!

Also posted on Reddit to see if I get any answers there, will update here if I do as well.

Future P2
Chopping Block Chopped
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
okurosetta
Regular Contributor

Re: Harris Teeter (Kroger) denial: outside of market area

Replying to myself here, think the following info is worth the bump: I called the number supplied on the letter (800-947-1444) today and asked if the denial was because I was outside of US Bank's market area or Harris Teeter's market area. She immediately answered that decisions are based on the supermarket's market area. She confirmed having heard of automatic denials for other of the Kroger cards.

She also gave her own data point - she applied for a Smith's card while living in Missouri and was automatically denied, then moved to New Mexico and was able to actually apply. Since both MO and NM have US Bank locations, this is consistent with it being based on the supermarket's market area, not US Bank's.

This was the word of one representative, but she did seem very familiar with the matter, including personal experience. So, since there are no Krogers or Kroger-affiliated stores in NY, I'm officially crossing this card off the list.

Future P2
Chopping Block Chopped
Message 2 of 5
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Ouch. I was thinking of applying for one of the Kroger chain cards too. Likewise there are none of the chains around here in RI as far as I know. This puts a big wrench in my plans and no doubt many people in the community.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 3 of 5
LADave
Established Contributor

@okurosetta wrote:

Gotta say, I do appreciate the lack of a hard pull!

This part of your DP was the most intriguing part for me. I'm curious if that's common for applications where an approval isn't possible because of geography, or if that's the case with all denials of Kroger cards.

Message 4 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@LADave wrote:

@okurosetta wrote:

Gotta say, I do appreciate the lack of a hard pull!

This part of your DP was the most intriguing part for me. I'm curious if that's common for applications where an approval isn't possible because of geography, or if that's the case with all denials of Kroger cards.

The HP is suppressed due to the geo-restriction denial. Any other denial(s) associated with credit-related reasons will incur a HP. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.