Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have 3 Amex cards but Denied for credit line increase

tag
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Have 3 Amex cards but Denied for credit line increase

Today I am 61 days from opening the cash blue card I spend on it prob over $6000 the last 2 months and paying every 2 days doing large payments

I requested a credit line increase online and i just called amex for status and I was told I was denied since I have a bankruptcy on my file

The blue cash card has $1000 credit line but it's annoying because I use it for grocery allot and the Limit his a joke 

My credit score fico is  at 735 and I have 6% utilization with $255,000 available credit and I have the platinum and gold Amex 

Now my question is will they ever give me a credit line increase or I have to wait till my bankruptcy off the report another 3 years ?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Have 3 Amex cards but Denied for credit line increase

Hard to say when they will give a CLI,  but evidence shows:

1. AMEX has tightened up a bit on CLI criteria as of the past 10 months or so 

2. The $1000 limit cards seem to be notoriously hard and slow to grow. 

Message 2 of 3
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Have 3 Amex cards but Denied for credit line increase

Well, for one, the 61-day cli is not as common as the forums make it seem- most have to wait til at least the 91 day mark to be approved for the 1st cli; some, a full 6 months; and few, a year.   With a BK on file, it's usually a much longer "probationary" period before being granted a CLI.  Some are given an auto cli at some point during the 1st year, some not.  A few have reported being approved for a cli once their BK ages to 6.5 years, others don't see a cli til the BK is completely gone. 

They won't approve a card unless the BK is at least 5 years old and then they generally limit CLIs - plus, in the current economic environment, they've tightened up a bit for everyone.  You having 2 other cards with them doesn't help either as your overall exposure may be as high as they're comfortable with at this time. 

I would say just continue to use the cards responsibly and bide your time - try again at the 6 month mark. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.