Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heartbreak with AMEX Marriot Bonvoy Brilliant - Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heartbreak with AMEX Marriot Bonvoy Brilliant - Denial

Applied and was promptly denied for Marriot Bonvoy Brilliant with SP from 11/20 showing EX 704.

Incredibly bummed about this one, as this was always the goal card for me and wanted a SUB to go after for holiday spend. A little suprised too, as I patiently waited to get past 2/90. Should've trusted the pre-approval vanishing despite increasing scores.

Reasons Given:

1) The length of time you have been a customer with American Express is too short.

2) The balances on your credit card accounts are high in relation to their credit limits, as reflected in your credit report.

DP's

- Overall utilization 11% 

- 7 cards reporting a balance (totaling roughly $7,500/$69,000) -1 card over 50%, 4 cards over 30%, 3 under 30%.

- AMEX Member since 8/26/2019, second card (business) approved 10/6, and was pre-approved about 3-4 weeks ago for this exact card.

- Score has risen dramatically since first approval and utilization shrinking steadily.

- Amex personal Hilton with heavy spend and pay in full over the last 3 months.

Have a 12 month 0% APR balance transfer offer on my BofA cash rewards with $6300 limit so I plan to consolidate some card balances without exceeding 30% UTI on that card and then I will have only 5 cards with balances all under 30%.

Any thoughts/advice would be helpful.

Will likely garden and pay down but a higher limit balance transfer card would help out a lot. 

33 REPLIES 33
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Heartbreak with AMEX Marriot Bonvoy Brilliant - Denial

What were your datapoints 2 months ago? They use old SP data. You could try reconning with a HP.

Message 2 of 34
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

My advice is same as other thread. Take a break . Too many Amex cards in only 3 months Amex history is too many for non established history.
Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you carrying a balance on your existing AMEX card(s)?

Remember, AMEX loves transactors - meaning you use their card and then PIF. You’re carrying some balances that show high utilization. Couple that with a lack of history with AMEX and you may continue to see denials from them until both history and utilization improve.
Message 4 of 34
Remedios
Credit Mentor

My thought is that they gave you two cards in three months. Now you need to give them some payment history in those accounts, while tending to the rest of your profile
I really think it's quite unreasonable expectation that any lender will issue you a card every month or so

And it's not just Amex. You've been very active (credit seeking) and it's really time to slow your roll.
There are two ways that happens, either you voluntarily spend some time app free, or lenders start putting the breaks on.
You got plenty of advice about that in other threads, it's up to you how you want to proceed.
Message 5 of 34
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:
My thought is that they gave you two cards in three months. Now you need to give them some payment history in those accounts, while tending to the rest of your profile
I really think it's quite unreasonable expectation that any lender will issue you a card every month or so

And it's not just Amex. You've been very active (credit seeking) and it's really time to slow your roll.
There are two ways that happens, either you voluntarily spend some time app free, or lenders start putting the breaks on.
You got plenty of advice about that in other threads, it's up to you how you want to proceed.

What she said... You are asking alot from Amex in a very short time.. Give it time they don't know you well yet....

Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think some of you Have got me confused with someone else. “Plenty of advice in other threads”, “very active credit seeking”.

Literally not a single person has told me to “slow my roll” because I haven’t been applying for anything in months. And if credit seeking is is three new accounts in the last 6 months then some of you have a real problem.

I’m sincerely offended by some of your comments and feel far less enthusiastic about this group; awesome that the sentiment is let’s kick a guy while he is down and provide no useful advice.

It is clear that some of you make recommendations without knowing at all who you are talking to or even reading the original post fully.

Very disappointed by some “mega/frequent contributors And community leaders” I’d expect a little more from ya’ll.

Anyways, I appreciate the responses none the less. And I agree that it was too much from Amex too soon.

Other than that, wish I hadn’t posted lol.
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe wait until you’ve been with them for 6 months then reassess the situation? Sorry about the denial.
Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you CS,

I’m definitely not apping anymore. Until well into next year.

I’ll let my perfect payment history, high spend and PIF with Amex simmer for awhile.
Message 9 of 34
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I think some of you Have got me confused with someone else. “Plenty of advice in other threads”, “very active credit seeking”.

Literally not a single person has told me to “slow my roll” because I haven’t been applying for anything in months. And if credit seeking is is three new accounts in the last 6 months then some of you have a real problem.

I’m sincerely offended by some of your comments and feel far less enthusiastic about this group; awesome that the sentiment is let’s kick a guy while he is down and provide no useful advice.

It is clear that some of you make recommendations without knowing at all who you are talking to or even reading the original post fully.

Very disappointed by some “mega contributors” I’d expect a little more from ya’ll.

Anyways, I appreciate the responses none the less. And I agree that it was too much from Amex too soon.

Other than that, wish I hadn’t posted lol.

You are entitled to feel that way as long as this post doesn't go against the FSR guidelines of the forum; if it does, that is another story and will be dealt with...  You werent being picked on and heck I have a huge problem with new accounts as i am what 25 accounts in 24 months?  The thing that we zoomed in on was this...

"- AMEX Member since 8/26/2019, second card (business) approved 10/6, and was pre-approved about 3-4 weeks ago for this exact card."

that isnt very long at all for being a member of a bank.  They need to get to know you first before extending more credit, it is pretty much that simple as you shouldn't take offense at advise given as many of us on the forum have tons of amex cards and know how they work as a lender.  Also having 50% utilizaton on one card is pretty high and 30% on a few other cards is up there as well.. AMEX is known as a transactor lender as they prefer to be paid in full where-as lenders like Discover and Cap1 love to make money off interest and the are called "revolver" cause they prefer those type of customers to make interest off of.  Can choose to take of leave advise that is up to you, but i saw nothing offensive in this post other than reasonable advise.

Best of luck to you moving forward on your credit journey with amex and other issuers.  I know things arent always what you want to hear, but sugar coating things doesn't always help a person.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.