Did you mean: 

Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card

tag
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Re: American Express Hilton Honors Surpass Question

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@AyaMai wrote:

My credit score dropped 49 points two days ago due to a new collection report of an old Capital One debt of ten years ago by a collection agency. I was thinking about applying after 24 March after I pass 90 days of applying for the 1st of the two approved credit cards. My score was 736, my question is it worth to apply or just ignore the great offer since I was approved for BCF, Hilton Honors, Amex Gold, Green, Platinum in the last 3 months. Done with Hilton SUB" Have 144K points, Gold and Green SUB in 2 weeks, Platinum and BCF, no balances on any. I don't leave any balances on any of the 21 accounts I have. It's either 0% or 1% utilization. I would appreciate your advice on that, do I apply or skip the offer altogether. The offer ends on the 31st of this month. I don't know how American Express will react regarding the huge drop on my score.

I don't think you should apply for anything until your scores start climbing back. You have more than enough cards now, and you've even got Hilton covered.

And I agree with @Brian_Earl_Spilner about disputing the negative.

Thank you for your help.

Message 11 of 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@bigseegar wrote:

Most  definitely do not apply. AmEx doesn't like collections at all so you don't want to draw any attention to that or the huge score drop. They will see it all soon enough when the do their next credit monitoring pull on you anyway.

Like the others said too a 10 year old debt can't be reported UNLESS you somehow re-started the clock on it. If you didn't definitely dispute and get that off ASAP.

Nope, 7 year exclusion period can NEVER be restarted. Once an account is COd, the first missed payment that led to that CO is your DOFD, which is set in stone and which starts the exclusion clock. You're thinking of the SOL, which, depending on state laws, can potentially be restarted and allow creditor more time to sue (but not report).

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 12 of 14
shipleybshipley
New Visitor

What bureau do they hit when applying for a Hilton or Amex card?

Message 13 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@shipleybshipley wrote:

What bureau do they hit when applying for a Hilton or Amex card?

Typically EX. Although in some cases they have been known to access both EX and TU -- profile-specific of course.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.