Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilton Honors Surpass minimum income

tag
villemiami
Regular Contributor

Hilton Honors Surpass minimum income

Usually, for my past credit card applications, I have to type my mortgage/rent and I put 0, because I own a condo with no mortgage. But for the Hilton Honors Surpass application, it didn't ask for that and only asked for income, I put $10,000 and I got denied. My mother applied, she put $25,000 for income (she is retired) and she got approved. I have slightly better fico 8 scores than her. What is the minimum income for a successful application with Hilton Honors Surpass?

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Hilton Honors Surpass minimum income

Sorry for your denial.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

As explained in your last low income denial thread, $10K is simply not enough for travel cards from most lenders, regardless of your housing expenses. It's irresponsible lending to encourage someone with no resources to spend their money on travel and there is a very high risk of default on any credit issued to someone well below the poverty line. 

Message 3 of 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Does the denial specifically references income, or is this your conclusion because mom got approved after putting higher income? 

Message 4 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If your signature is correct, American Express has already extended 54% of your income to you on the Gold Delta SkyMiles card.  So it's probably not a matter of income being too low, but rather a matter of income being too low for current debt-to-income levels based on your Experian credit report and the amount of credit they have already extended you, which is extremely generous.

Message 5 of 17
villemiami
Regular Contributor

It's my conclusion because mom got approved.

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 6 of 17
villemiami
Regular Contributor

my signature is correct.

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 7 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@villemiami wrote:

It's my conclusion because mom got approved.

I would say it's best to learn the actual reason(s) for being declined to provide more concrete picture or set of results.

Once you have the letter, which you should be able to access online, please share it with the community. 

Message 8 of 17
villemiami
Regular Contributor

OK.

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 9 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@villemiami wrote:

my signature is correct.

In which case, the most likely reason for denial is the amount of credit they have already extended to you.  Even with massive spend through American Express over the past 18 years, as a percentage of income I'm at about 30% so it is very unlikely that they would extend more to you with you having $5400 on a $10k income unless you also have significant liquid assets.

Once you receive the letter, you may try to recon their decision by offering to reallocate your existing credit line to open the new account.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.