Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Depot "Pre-Selected to Apply" letter - Firm APR

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Home Depot "Pre-Selected to Apply" letter - Firm APR

It's been about 8 months since the last Home Depot Pre-Selected/Pre-Approved thread, so I thought I'd see if anything had changed. 

This is the first time I've ever received anything from Citi. Yesterday I got a Home Depot envelope in the mail. The exact verbage is "Pre-Selected To Apply," and not "Pre-Approved." However there is a firm 25.99 APR on the letter, and an invitation code. 

When I go to the Home Depot preapproval page, it can't find an offer for me. So what is this? A bulk marketing mailer, or a solid offer? 

I'm not looking to apply for anything right now, but was hoping to dip my toes in the Citi waters - I want that Costco Visa! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Home Depot "Pre-Selected to Apply" letter - Firm APR

From what I know the 25.99% APR on HD card, goes across the board unless it's later lowered after having the card awhile. If you're not seeing the preapproval on the preapproval page I would skip it for now. DH never got approved with the mailer until it acutally showed up on the prequal page before applying.

Message 2 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

They do actually offer a "lower" APR on the card (21.99 I believe) but that's only for very good credit. Most people seem to get 25.99.

Unless you're sure you'd use the financing, this is IMO a pretty much useless card. If you want to be in with Citi at least get something with some kind of benefits. This has very little.

Message 3 of 7
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

It's been about 8 months since the last Home Depot Pre-Selected/Pre-Approved thread, so I thought I'd see if anything had changed. 

This is the first time I've ever received anything from Citi. Yesterday I got a Home Depot envelope in the mail. The exact verbage is "Pre-Selected To Apply," and not "Pre-Approved." However there is a firm 25.99 APR on the letter, and an invitation code. 

When I go to the Home Depot preapproval page, it can't find an offer for me. So what is this? A bulk marketing mailer, or a solid offer? 

I'm not looking to apply for anything right now, but was hoping to dip my toes in the Citi waters - I want that Costco Visa! 

I got a letter in the mail too. I checked online for a preapproval and it was there. It also said pre-selected and not pre-approved

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good data point...The wording made the difference

Message 5 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

OP are you going to actually app for the Citi?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 7
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@RM21 wrote:
OP are you going to actually app for the Citi?

Not until the Costco Visa comes up. My scores are almost 700, I just haven't updated my signature in a long time. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.