cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Does Synchrony Manage Credit Limit Increases?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

How Does Synchrony Manage Credit Limit Increases?

Does anyone know how Synchrony currently handles cli requests for their accounts? I believe they are soft pulls, correct?

Also, is there a certain amount of time you have to wait in between cli requests?

And how genorus are they with increase approvals? What do they look for in terms of scores, usage, etc.

I'm looking to request an increase on my Google Financing Account. Anyone with cli experience on that specific product?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: How Does Synchrony Manage Credit Limit Increases?

they are Soft Pulls

you can basically request any time - some people have got 2 CLIs in 1 day

they are usually generous

unsure about the Google acct 

give it a try - the most they will say is No and it wont affect your score

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 14
lgtwriter
Frequent Contributor

Synchrony can be generous with cli, but they do not like to see "credit seeking activity" (too many cli requests in a short period of time or too many applications in a short period of time). Sometimes "credit seeking activity" (as defined here) will trigger adverse action and they will balance chase, and/or close new credit lines or even existing credit lines.

That being said, Synchrony has a threshold of how much credit exposure they like to see (of course YMMV) from these threads the general consensus is that that exposure is $100k max across all Synchrony cards. (But if you do a search on Synchrony threads here, in the last year or so they have done credit line decreases and closures at max thresholds around half of that)

Anyway, that is a long explanation for your question and I still haven't answered the question yet.

I have the B&H Photo financing card with Synchrony which is probably a very similar product to the Google financing card. I asked for a credit limit increase this summer (I ask once or twice a year). I asked for 5k and they countered with 3k cli. It was a soft pull.

Message 3 of 14
AceTen
Regular Contributor

I would describe SYNC's credit limit management as "Easy come, easy go". Smiley Tongue

But seriously, my amazon sync store card cli increases were all soft pull done via the luv button. I am sure some members more knowledgeable than myself will chime in with details about google and specifics. Good luck to you! 

"Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken."
Message 4 of 14
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

As others have said, they're usually pretty generous with CLIs, plus they're soft pulls. But a word of warning!

You might want to spend some time looking around the boards to see how many times people have had *all* their Synchrony accounts shut down, just like that, with no warning, and for no good reason. I'm saying that so you can make an informed decision before hitting the love button! Ever since I found out about their mass-closure practices, I've pretty much refrained from asking for CLIs or doing anything else that could rock the boat.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 14
Repairman
Established Contributor

@lgtwriter wrote:

Synchrony can be generous with cli, but they do not like to see "credit seeking activity" (too many cli requests in a short period of time or too many applications in a short period of time). Sometimes "credit seeking activity" (as defined here) will trigger adverse action and they will balance chase, and/or close new credit lines or even existing credit lines.

That being said, Synchrony has a threshold of how much credit exposure they like to see (of course YMMV) from these threads the general consensus is that that exposure is $100k max across all Synchrony cards. (But if you do a search on Synchrony threads here, in the last year or so they have done credit line decreases and closures at max thresholds around half of that)

Anyway, that is a long explanation for your question and I still haven't answered the question yet.

I have the B&H Photo financing card with Synchrony which is probably a very similar product to the Google financing card. I asked for a credit limit increase this summer (I ask once or twice a year). I asked for 5k and they countered with 3k cli. It was a soft pull.

I've had the credit since 2016. A year later, they raised my cl to $2500. January of this year, I requested and didn't get the full amount I requested, but they raised it to $3500. I am planning to use it to buy a few expensive products within the upcomming weeks and would like another increase because while $3500 is enought to cover the charges, I would like to maintain a good avail credit/limit ratio. 

Do you guys think I should make my next request BEFORE the products are announced, or wait a few weeks until after they are announced and I'm ready to purchase? Or both?

Message 6 of 14
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

@lgtwriter wrote:

I've had the credit since 2016. A year later, they raised my cl to $2500. January of this year, I requested and didn't get the full amount I requested, but they raised it to $3500. I am planning to use it to buy a few expensive products within the upcomming weeks and would like another increase because while $3500 is enought to cover the charges, I would like to maintain a good avail credit/limit ratio. 

Do you guys think I should make my next request BEFORE the products are announced, or wait a few weeks until after they are announced and I'm ready to purchase? Or both?

Once upon a time, Synchrony would approve credit limit increase requests every 32 days... if your Vantage score (provided by Synchrony) is over 700 you have a good chance of getting increased to $5000 (might offer you more... double current limit used to be my approvals... before they closed all of my accounts).

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 7 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I would request now for no other reason than to have put some distance between when you requested the CLI and when you used the card.  It does appear that if CLI requests are going to trigger account closures (and only having a single CLI request doesn't appear to be a common trigger)  the AA will happen at some point within the next several weeks.   Theory being that if they're going to burn you it's better if they do so before you make that large purchase you're planning.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 14
lgtwriter
Frequent Contributor

@Repairman the card is probably not tied to the date of promos but I would request now like @coldfusion says so that you have the limit for a bit before you make a large purchase.

I did the same thing with my B&H photo card. I buy my Apple stuff through them (I have since I was in college lol Smiley Very Happy) and I requested the credit line increase a month before I bought a new MacBook pro.

My B&H photo financing card offers 0% financing for a year. I hope your Google financing card does as wellSmiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
uoyankee
New Contributor

Speaking of synchrony and CLI requests, does anyone know how the Venmo card works for them?  I don't see an option in the app and have had the card almost 6 months now.   Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread but this seemed like the most appropriate place!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.