Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How accurate is NFCU Pre-Approval?

tag
amclaughlin42
Regular Contributor

How accurate is NFCU Pre-Approval?

I became a member of NFCU about a month ago, I did their pre-approval and only secured came back. I waited. Did it again today and all cards showed up. Even the flagship! Was it because i established a little bit of a relationship with direct deposit and a savings balance? some cards were paid down, while one other reported almost maxed out so scores only when up 4 points

AMEX Credit1 - 547/600 reported, $30 actual balance, reports on the 15th

WM Cap1 Store - $0/$300

Cap1 QS - $0/$500
Avant - $63/$300

Discover It -$919/$4500 - Closed making payments on it. Were afraid to pay this off at this time because its one of my oldest accounts. 

I have several installment loans all in good standing. Student loans, one auto, one personal, one mortgage.

One charge off account from target, thats been settled. They wouldn't remove it. But we settled so we could buy a house this past spring. One medical collection in a dispute for HIPAA Violation several inquiries from buying a car, and few from buying a house,

EX 674 TU 684 EQ 663
Income $62k

I'd like to wait till my last card shows the correct balance. Around 15th so about 2 weeks.

Do you think my chances of actual approval is pretty good? 

Cards: CreditOne AMEX - $600, Cap1 QS - $500, Avant-$300, Cap1 WM Store - $300
GOAL - Chase FU - Goal Score 725
07/2021 - Experian 675 Equifax 673 Transunion 688
07/2019 - Experian 623 - Equifax 628 - Transunion 622
04/2019 - Experian 597 - Equifax 610 - Transunion 619
01/2017 - Experian 479 - Equifax 457 - Transunion 461
04/2017 - Experian 502 - Equifax 473 - Transunion 476
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: How accurate is NFCU Pre-Approval?

@amclaughlin42 wrote:

I became a member of NFCU about a month ago, I did their pre-approval and only secured came back. I waited. Did it again today and all cards showed up. Even the flagship! Was it because i established a little bit of a relationship with direct deposit and a savings balance? some cards were paid down, while one other reported almost maxed out so scores only when up 4 points

WM Cap1 Store - $0/$300

Cap1 QS - $0/$500
Avant - $63/$300

Discover It -$919/$4500 - Closed making payments on it. Were afraid to pay this off at this time because its one of my oldest accounts. 

I have several installment loans all in good standing. Student loans, one auto, one personal, one mortgage.

One charge off account from target, thats been settled. They wouldn't remove it. But we settled so we could buy a house this past spring. One medical collection in a dispute for HIPAA Violation several inquiries from buying a car, and few from buying a house,

EX 674 TU 684 EQ 663
Income $62k

I'd like to wait till my last card shows the correct balance. Around 15th so about 2 weeks.

Many, many people have been "preapproved" for all cards and promptly denied when they applied. As of right now Navy's "preapproval" isn't worth the paper it is printed on (assuming you printed out the page from your computer).

Message 2 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

It's not accurate at all. If you want a card, just app. The first card limit will usually be small anyways. Save the one you really want for second or third.

Message 3 of 11
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

The Navy prequal hasn't been very reliable since it came about.

The Flagship card isn't one recommended as the first to apply for.

It has more stringent approval criteria, generally you have to qualify for a 5K SL.

You'll probably have to just take the chance, it's only 1 HP, you have an unlimited amount of them lol.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 4 of 11
amclaughlin42
Regular Contributor

Flagship isn't something I want to go for even among the second attempt maybe the 3rd. I am considering the platinum and maybe in 6 months or a year the cash rewards. Those are the two cards I am most interested it.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amclaughlin42 wrote:

WM Cap1 Store - $0/$300

Cap1 QS - $0/$500
Avant - $63/$300

EX 674 TU 684 EQ 663
Income $62k

Like most will tell you.....Not accurate at all.  I even had a Customer Service Rep at Navy tell me that it's not accurate

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amclaughlin42 wrote:

WM Cap1 Store - $0/$300

Cap1 QS - $0/$500
Avant - $63/$300

EX 674 TU 684 EQ 663
Income $62k

Also as a new member you DO NOT WANT TO APPLY FOR THE FLAGSHIP.   That card is their top of the line card that has higher underwriting vs. all the other cards they have.   All the other cards except Flagship have the exact same underwriting.   You never ever want to apply for the Flagship as your first card where there is at least a 90% chance you'll get denied for it.

Message 7 of 11
amclaughlin42
Regular Contributor

I was just surprised it showed up at all for me to be honest. I am considering platinum or cash rewards. But I wont app for another 10 days when my utilization update reports. Flagship is more of goal card in a year or two once I have a better relationship with them established

Message 8 of 11
Atlascedar
Established Member

I was pre approved in March for all cards. Applied for and approved for  SL 15K on the Cash Rewards card. This is after many months of the site only offering a secured card. 90 days later I was again pre approved for all cards and I applied for the MoreRewards Amex card and again was approved for a SL of 25K.

In 30 days or so, I'll apply for the Platinum and then that's it for NFCU for me.

Message 9 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@amclaughlin42 wrote:

I was just surprised it showed up at all for me to be honest. I am considering platinum or cash rewards. But I wont app for another 10 days when my utilization update reports. Flagship is more of goal card in a year or two once I have a better relationship with them established

Like others have said, the Navy prequal is useless, so the fact that the Flagship showed up means nothing (no offense). Plenty of people here have reported the prequal page saying they're prequalified for ALL cards (myself included), which is of course quite unlikely.

But anyway, besides the FS, all their other cards have the exact same criteria, so feel free to app for whichever one you want most at this time. Smiley Happy

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.