cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get and or qualify a prime credit card with a 620 credit score?

tag
MB54
Established Member

How can I get and or qualify a prime credit card with a 620 credit score?

Are there any prime credit cards for a person with a 620 credit score across 3 reporting agencies?

MB
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How can I get and or qualify a prime credit card with a 620 credit score?

The only way I see it would be to go with a secured Discover. Get that, fund it with as high a limit as you can, and use it responsibly. It should graduate in 7 months or so and your deposit will be returned, making it unsecured. Disco has been known to increase your limit at this time too. From there, manage carefully and build responsibly and your scores will continue to climb into the territory that allows other prime cards to become possible. As of now though, 620 will not likely get you in with an unsecured prime revolver.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MB54 wrote:

Are there any prime credit cards for a person with a 620 credit score across 3 reporting agencies?

What do you consider prime?  Anything non-predatory?  If so, you might be able to get a card from a CU (NFCU has approved with lower scores), or Capital One, for example. 

If youre limiting prime to the likes of AMEX, Citi, Chase, etc. you’re not likely to have much luck in that space yet. 

Message 3 of 10
rbentley
Established Contributor

A subprime credit score will rarely result in success getting a prime credit card. The better the card/rewards, the higher the score required.  I dont think even Credit Karma would give you even "fair" approval odds for a prime card with a 620 score.

As has been pointed out, what do you consider "prime"?  Is there a particular card or rewards structure you are looking for?  

Continue rebuiding and improving your credit profile amd you will see your preapprovals and odds of getting the "better" cards improve.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are looking just to have a prestigious credit card to maybe impress others, find a relative, significant other, or really good friend that will allow you to be an authorized user on his or her card.

Message 5 of 10
calyx
Super Contributor

If by "prime" you mean 'banks that appear to have better reputations and are not predatory,'  then you may need to look into secured cards.

I got a USBank (the regular Visa - it has an AF, but when it graduates, you can PC it to Cash+) and Citi Secured (can be PCed to DoubleCash) with 610 FICO8.   I'm in it for the long haul, so I didn't mind spending money to start a relationship with these lenders (plus, longer credit history with my goal cards if/when I get them).  Discover would be the other good, secured card that graduates.   WF, BoA, Cap1 all have secured card programs as well.   As mentioned above, credit unions are usually a pretty good resource for less than stellar profiles as well.

If you go secured, make sure to see if they graduate (if that's important to you) and what their terms are for graduation, or if you just close the account when your scores are better and you want your deposit money back.

As always, YMMV with varying credit files.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 6 of 10
MB54
Established Member

Thank you very much.
MB
Message 7 of 10
MB54
Established Member

I have heard good thing about Chase.
MB
Message 8 of 10
xaximus
Valued Contributor

@MB54 wrote:

I would not apply for Chase. A 620 score will most likely not yield an approval.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 9 of 10
calyx
Super Contributor

@xaximus wrote:

@MB54 wrote:

I would not apply for Chase. A 620 score will most likely not yield an approval.

I concur - they will probably not give you a card.
You can also check preapproval/qualification links at various banks and see if anything hits.   Please note - prequal is not a guarantee, but it might give you an idea.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.